BK Gemini II - step down from my Monitor Audio Radius 370HD?

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Hi all. I am in the process of tweaking my set up. After a small wife friendly sub woofer on a pretty tight budget.

Currently have a Monitor Audio Radius 370HD which has served me well for a number of years. I realise it isn't an earth shattering sub, but has auto on/off and haven't got any complaints.

The BK Gemini II is an obvious contender - it comes in white (wife friendly and a definite requirement), hits the right spot on the budget, but is lower wattage, class a/b rather than the Monitor Audio D. Don't expect earth shattering bass but would it be a step down from the Monitor Audio in terms of performance, a sideways step, or will I be impressed.

Any other options worth considering around that price point, or just stick with the Monitor Audio for the time being?

Will be partnered with Bronze 200/C150 (ended up going with these over the Silvers as just could not stretch the budget - see my other thread) and Radius R90 surrounds, all fed by a Denon AVR3313. Music and Movies an equal priority.

Thanks!

Rob

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all. I am in the process of tweaking my set up. After a small wife friendly sub woofer on a pretty tight budget.

Currently have a Monitor Audio Radius 370HD which has served me well for a number of years. I realise it isn't an earth shattering sub, but has auto on/off and haven't got any complaints.

The BK Gemini II is an obvious contender - it comes in white (wife friendly and a definite requirement), hits the right spot on the budget, but is lower wattage, class a/b rather than the Monitor Audio D. Don't expect earth shattering bass but would it be a step down from the Monitor Audio in terms of performance, a sideways step, or will I be impressed.

Any other options worth considering around that price point, or just stick with the Monitor Audio for the time being?

Will be partnered with Bronze 200/C150 (ended up going with these over the Silvers as just could not stretch the budget - see my other thread) and Radius R90 surrounds, all fed by a Denon AVR3313. Music and Movies an equal priority.

Thanks!

Rob

Moving from one small 10" sub to another cheap one isn´t going to make much difference, so yes more of sideway move. :)

Better to save at least for the P12-300SB (399£), that one will be good step up as cabinet volume grows good amount plus the diameter of driver increases to 12". Even better for movies if you can opt for P12-300SB-PR (480£). As i often say do the upgrade when you can get a noticeable change so something around 400-700£ mark should do that.

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Thanks - that would be my concern that it would not really give me much more than I already have save for being a different colour! Need to check out the dimensions of the P12-300SB as that is an important issue as room is not huge (16x10) ft. £399 would be absolutely top budget wise, so the P12-300SB-PR isn't really an option.

Also, just seen the XLS200 on the BK website at £354. Any thoughts on that one? Only £100 up from the Gemini which I can probably stretch to if it was worth it, but can't get sucked into that creep in budget!

Really need to keep the reigns on budget creep (hence why I went for the Bronze over the Silver, although the Silver were tempting!).

password1

Distinguished Member
I can't comment on the BK gemini 2 as Ive never owned or heard one but I use to have a bk xls200 mk2 which i would say is a siseways move.

If you're happy with your 370 except for the colour why not vinyl wrap it?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks - that would be my concern that it would not really give me much more than I already have save for being a different colour! Need to check out the dimensions of the P12-300SB as that is an important issue as room is not huge (16x10) ft. £399 would be absolutely top budget wise, so the P12-300SB-PR isn't really an option.

Also, just seen the XLS200 on the BK website at £354. Any thoughts on that one? Only £100 up from the Gemini which I can probably stretch to if it was worth it, but can't get sucked into that creep in budget!

Really need to keep the reigns on budget creep (hence why I went for the Bronze over the Silver, although the Silver were tempting!).

Definitely P12 over XLS200, the price difference is so small, but you get 50litre cab over 18litre, 12" driver and decent amount of power. Also the auto on/off feature. I had Gemini II and heard BK XXLS400 briefly which is basically very similar to P12. There is very clear difference between these two which isn´t really suprise as size tends to matter with subwoofers.

You can choose from FF or DF (driver orientation), performance is same. Which ever fits better!

DF: 400D x 460H x 400W
FF: 450D x 400H x 400W

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. Had never entered my mind to do that. That would even cover up a few of the dings in the finish. Is that something that is easy to do or worth getting it done by someone that knows that they are doing?

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Definitely P12 over XLS200, the price difference is so small, but you get 50litre cab over 18litre, 12" driver and decent amount of power. Also the auto on/off feature. I had Gemini II and heard BK XXLS400 briefly which is basically very similar to P12. There is very clear difference between these two which isn´t really suprise as size tends to matter with woofers.

You can choose from FF or DF (driver orientation), performance is same. Which ever fits better!

DF: 400D x 460H x 400W
FF: 450D x 400H x 400W
Cheers for that. So front facing or downwards facing doesn’t make much difference? Ok, so perhaps I’ll go the vinyl wrap route on the 370 and save up for the P12. Thanks for the useful advice!

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
Vinyl wrapping just needs a steady hand..its very easy on flat surfaces but awkward shapes and irregular surfaces are more difficult. You shouldn't cost more than £10-15 to wrap a small sub. There are some videos on youtube that show you how to wrap ive found useful.

If you don't have OCD, then the underneath and back doesnt have to be perfect as its hidden anyway. It'll keep the sub clean and protect it from being scratched and it can be removed without damaging the finish should you wish to return it to the original finish later.

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
@RobbySpurs how did you get on? which sub did you decide on and how does it compare to your 370 sub?
Stuck with the MA 370 for the time being. A few unexpected outlays meant that the sub had to be parked...To be honest after recalibrating after getting the Bronze 200's and Centre, the 37- does all I need at the moment. Doesn't mean that I won't scratch the itch at some point though!

password1

Distinguished Member
I doubt swapping it for a Bk xls200 or gemi 2 will be a big enough if any difference. I would keep your 370 until you decide to upgrade to something much more substantial.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom