BK Gemini for bedroom 2ch only music listening?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sjalloq, Jan 12, 2008.

1. sjalloq

sjalloq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey all,

I've decided that I need to get a small sub to augment my standmounters for my bedroom. The system is currently a pair of Usher S-520's which are bi-amped using a Linn Classik and an LK85. The Usher's are fantastic but they roll off at about 52Hz and I really notice the lacking information on a few pieces I listen to (jazz with a double bass for example just sounds empty at the bottom).

I will not be listening at reference levels and it doesn't need to pressurise the room like an HT setup. I'm looking for something fast and accurate that will keep up with the mains.

So far I've been considering the BK Gemini but am not sure if I'd benefit from, or in fact need to, step up a level. I have an SVS SB12+ in my HT system so will be giving that a go this afternoon. I don't really want to have to drop £500 on another one so would appreciate any thoughts from Gemini owners.

My room is a funny thing because it's an extension on the back of the house. It's more like two rooms stuck together with a wide doorway linking them. The main room is about 4m*2.7m and the smaller second area is 2.8*2.1m. The ceiling is 2.4m which gives a total volume of 40m^3 or 1400ft^3.

One last question. In a music only setup what is the best method of hooking up a sub? High or low level inputs?

Thanks.

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Hi Shareef,

I'd look at the XLS-200 instead for the extra £90, or even less via the classifieds.

Deeper, cleaner, with the same input flexibility (so you can choose) and doesn't really take up any more room.:)

As to high or low, well high level normally has a 24dB/Octave slope whilst high has a 12dB/Octave slope. I'd choose whichever dovetails in with the Ushers best.

BTW, I wish I'd rung you while I still had the XLS-300 - that would have made for a great comparison.

Russell

3. sjalloq

sjalloq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, thanks for the advise Russ. I was having a catch up of the thread earlier and spotted you having played with the 300. Shame, next time feel free to call me and I'll drag the SB12 round.

Anyway, I've just had a play with my SB12+ and have come away with mixed emotions. Hopefully I've attached a REW output of the response both with and without the SB12+ and as you can see, the Ushers roll off quite steeply right on 40Hz. I guess the extension to 40Hz is room gain because the -3dB point is 52Hz in the specs. The difference with the SB12+ in place though is quite clear from the plot.

However, I'm not as bowled over as I thought I'd be. There really isn't much sub-40Hz stuff in music is there!? I couldn't really tell a huge difference on a lot of the music I've just put through the system. It certainly didn't help bring out the double bass as I'd hoped which could just be the low level of the recording (Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue). It helped fill out bass heavy stuff like "Kicks" off Crazy Penis' album A Night On Earth and other similar stuff, but on most tracks that don't have the deeper bass it was hard to tell. I guess that's what you'd expect really and I'm just being silly.

P.S. Anyone know how long it takes for a Pro-ject Phonobox II to give its best? Maybe that's where I'm losing some low end as it's straight out of the box.

Attached Files: