1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK Electronics SDA-XLS10 sub question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr. Wilby, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I've just bought my first sub (the above) to go with Mission m74 floor-standers, Tanoy mxC, and Tannoy mxR's (basically a home cinema setup but also occasionally for music). I have a sony 940 av receiver.

I've wired up the sub to the receiver using the phono cable that came with the sub and it all seems to work (it certainly makes a thud).

However, there was also a rather meaty looking 'high level' cable included with the package and I'm just wondering under what circumstances (E.g. what kind of amp etc) would I need to use that?

Also, I have purchased a copy of Avia which will be with me shortly. Does it include any sub calibration/setup screens that might allow me to make sure I have the dials set to the correct levels?

I only unpacked it last night and therefore don't really understand the relationship between phase, frequency and the high/low gains.

Any tips would be welcome.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The High Level input will be useful if like me you have a separate amp for stereo duties (my Rotel in common with many integrated amps has no low level output)

Avia does indeed have sub setup routines which can be very telling.

calibration wise - set the phase according to the manual, frequency can be set to max is you set your amp amp to recognise the use of the sub as it will limit the frequncies being passed. If you don't use a high level input, you can forget high the high gain. Leaving the Low gain to fiddle with to get the right vloume. This can be done by ear using the test tones from your amp but it's easier if you have a SPL meter (if you don't have one google for cornwall elecronics, they sell a good one for £25). I found that it was best to knock a couple of dbs off of the setting given by the meter.

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Wilber. The manual that came with the sub wasn't too detailed so I wrote a quick mail to BK and they got back to me within an hour about how to set it up correctly. Good service!

Thanks again for your help