BK Electronics P12-300SB Subwoofer Review - review discussion

Thanks Ed!
Good to see BK carrying on, but this new sub does beg the question - where does this fit in with regards to the XXLS400? They're the same size, same driver size, same weight, but slight difference in price and amp power (which of course is only a small part of the story).

Hi

Just clarify the speaker in the P12-300 is not the same as the XXLS400 as the XXLS400 has the Peerless XXLS12 drive unit fitted. To get to a price point below £400 we needed to use a less expensive drive unit, this is not to say it's a cheap speaker as it has a double magnet, vented pole piece and an 8 spoke cast aluminium chassis it's just that the Peerless unit is quite expensive.

Hi

Just clarify the speaker in the P12-300 is not the same as the XXLS400 as the XXLS400 has the Peerless XXLS12 drive unit fitted. To get to a price point below £400 we needed to use a less expensive drive unit, this is not to say it's a cheap speaker as it has a double magnet, vented pole piece and an 8 spoke cast aluminium chassis it's just that the Peerless unit is quite expensive.

P12-300 vs XXLS400 in terms of sound quality for music please?

Hi

Thank you - Tom? :)
I did gather that it's a different driver, after all the ~£45 - £50 price difference had to come from somewhere; good to see you guys are still keeping busy!

Nothing at this price or within £200 of it can hold a candle to the all round competence of the BK....

Apart from BK's other 12 inch sealed sub ;)

Nothing at this price or within £200 of it can hold a candle to the all round competence of the BK....

Apart from BK's other 12 inch sealed sub ;)

Internecine struggles don't count :).

Wow, that's a stellar report there for BK. I don't remember the XXLS400 (my current sub) getting this level of praise.

Thanks Ed.

I have used a BK Monolith DF since 2011 - Still sounds great and shakes the bungalow when needed to in a film

BK is one of the best c.o's I have ever come across and I wish them well with this new sub

Nice review indeed.

I have been the happy owner of a pair of XLS200DF for close to 7 years. Apart from a couple of blown up fuse, they have provided a very satisfactory level of detailed and fast bass in our living room. The mahogany veneer is as beautiful as it was the day they arrived in our home.

This new product seems to be driven from a very safe approach. However, as mentioned by Sergiup earlier this is quite similar in specs to the XXLS400. It would be interesting to compare both models. If the cheapest is almost as good as the more expensive one then there is not much incentive to pay more. If the performance delta is significant and considering that the price difference is not that great than the little extra money may be a no brainer. In term of marketing it is a bit complicated to justify the existence of those two products as one will likely suck up potential sales from the other.

I just wish BK would get a little bit more aggressive in the technological aspect of their products, something that would give me a strong desire for an upgrade. Here is my wish list:

1) servo drive to get even more control over the bass lines. Not much choice here beside Velodyne DD series and Rythmik Audio products, the later being quite tempting.

2) ability to insert a room correction EQ like the Antimode after the summation of the low and high level signals. That would be bless for hifi systems with problematic room modes.

3) an adjustable (frequency + slope) active stereo/mono filter output to feed power amplifiers for the speakers

4) a trigger and rs232 com port for professional installation.

5) a remote for volume level adjustment.

I love the finish on this sub, Brilliant WAF, Would hardly notice under a small table in most setups!

Should I need to upgrade in future I think this would be the unit for me, Well done BK.

Thanks for the review :smashin:

I've always favoured the SVS SB series due to the DSP technology behind it. Would be interesting to see how it compares to the SB1000. Can this BK really go below 20Hz?

Good review.

I think you mean 'bold statement' and not bald statement. Unless you mean the bass is so powerful it makes your hair fall out? :D

The SB1000 is seriously good. It was reviewed as part of the Prime review. The BK is larger and bulkier but, yes, I think it is better still. I don't think it can do sub 20Hz at +/- 3dB but at -6dB I think there is output.

The BK is better- and currently over £100 cheaper.

when will BK release a sub with a 15" or 18" driver? or a multi driver enclosure?
That would be interesting if limited to a smaller market :)

Is this really manufactured in the UK...or China?....

SB1000 is currently £409 so the BK is slightly cheaper, not £100 though and for the premium finishes they are neck and neck. Both look very nice in the premium finishes.

Is this really manufactured in the UK...or China?....

I don't know where the drivers are manufactured, but the amps and cabinets are assembled by hand in the B.K. Workshop in Essex.

From their website:

Features
2 years warranty
True 300W RMS (600W) peakdiscrete Bipolar amplifier
Truly hand built in Great Britain, when we claim hand built we mean hand built, as there are no SMD components or other automatic placement devices.
Downward Firing 300mm (12") long throw heavy duty loudspeaker with 8 spoke cast aluminium basket, stacked magnets and vented pole piece
Continuously variable frequency control
Audiophile grade toroidal transformers
Gas Tight Neutrik connection for long term consistency of sound quality
Separate controls for high and low-level input adjustment
Simultaneous connection of high and low level sources
ASP automatic speaker protection audibly transparent driver protection
Auto detect
IEC Power Socket

Good review.

I think you mean 'bold statement' and not bald statement. Unless you mean the bass is so powerful it makes your hair fall out? :D

No- in this instance Bald is correct. Pertaining to unvarnished, free of additional frippery etc, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom