BK Electronics Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Jammyb, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Has anyone used or have any thoughts on this:
    http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Amps/headphone.htm

The guys at BK normally produce excellent kit for the money and I was wondering how this would compare with the penguin tins. It's obviously ugly as sin, but since it's going to be in my bag most of the time then that's not a major problem.

I did a search and this doesn't seem to have been mentioned before?

Thanks

2. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Y don't you be the first to buy one and review ;) Remembering BK are in it like everyone else to make a profit and if they make say £10 profit they must be able to build real fast. I have tried the penguin and know the limitations of that amp see one of the other posts here on the Penguin amp.

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi - I considered this when I bought a portable amp recently but like you couldn't find anyone who'd got one or reviews etc
    I decided on a PA2V2 which was $55 and I am very pleased with the sound of it with portable sources (It also looks a bit nicer! but as you say its the sound that counts)
    HTH - Paul ;)

4. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    For all intents it's a cmoy which by changing the design a fraction becomes a commercial unit, but it's still going to be and sound like a static cmoy.

One of the advantages of getting a cmoy as a first amp is that you can sometimes change the opamp chip (if it's socketed as cmoys tend to be) and amend the sound style a little. This one is fixed by the look of the pics on their site.

A few questions.

What is your portable source and headphones - if these are basic than stick to a basic cmoy (cheaper the better). If however, you have good IEMs or headphones and listen to CD or MP3 via a linout at best quality then may be think a little higher for a starter headphone amp.

How are you at diy & soldering? There's a new mini amp coming out in pcb form called the PINT (previous version was the MINT) which is a step up in quality for not much more.

Steve

Steve

5. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    My main source will be an ipod nano, the sound quality of which I think is excellent (far better than my Iriver H10 that failed after 3 months...) but sadly no line out, MP3 most of which at around 192kbs and a pair of Sennheiser PX100's.

The nano is great at lower/mid volumes, but if I crank it up passed 90% a fair amount hiss is evident and it lacks a bit of 'ooomph' :)

I'm truly awful at soldering, due to shaky hands and no patience.

6. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    OK for a Nano via headphone and some decent'ish cans like the PX100 a cmoy should suffice and keep your budget down. With basic cmoys look at the finish, pre-made pcb and nice case count for a lot but should not raise the price dramatically. There are more UK cmoy suppliers now than when I first looked for just 2 years ago, then it was US only really and more pot luck.

If I recall correctly the volume on the Nano would need to be set to almost 99% and the volume control on the cmoy used for control. If you can try it via the line out at some stage with an amp you'll appreciate the difference.

Steve

7. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    A good way to improve the loudness is to go into itunes and using the properties set the volume gain to +70% this in effect takes off the cap set for european ipods be warned you will expose yourself to ear damaging volumes if you wind it up to high. Try this first and see how the sound is. Don't go on the amp route you have been warned keep away :devil: This is how it starts DONT DO IT!!!!