1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK electronics BK XLS 200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brox, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are going for £279 inc, they claim it goes down to 17htz at -6 db does anyone have one?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mufu is one of their big fans and Dan Gleebles may know something about them.

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

LOL, yes I guess I am a fan. They're obviously selling these on a pretty miniscule margin, making them the bargain of the century. I put a thread up in Special Offers when I got mine:

[​IMG]

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76601

The latest one is slightly smaller but I bet there's absolutely nothing to touch it of a comparable size, sub-£500.

MuFu.

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also thinking about getting one of these. I am in a 5m x 6m room, which also is half open onto a large kitchen. I currently have no sub, but this would be paired with a couple of Mission m74's (non-i, bi-wired), Tannoy mxC, and two Tannoy mxR's. The amp is an old Sony 940AV.

Anybody know if it would be alright with this kind of setup? I was thinking of either this sub or the Velodyne CHT 10 which Uncle Eric is selling in the powerbuys section.

Thanks and sorry to butt in here...

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am sure that either sub will suit you well

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, either would do a good job. Try and get a demo if you can - I'm not quite sure how that would work with BKE. I bought mine blind but it seemed to have a very well proven "recipe" and was way too good to pass up for the money. I was considering building my own but it would have costed more that way. :eek:

If size isn't a concern then I'd be inclined to favour the Velodyne because of its much larger cabinet, although I have only heard it for a very short period of time and wouldn't like to comment as to how it compares. Tough one!

A couple of advantages the BKE sub has (compactness/RMS output aside) are the continuously variable phase dial and the ability to use the high and low-level inputs simultaneously. It also comes with a Speakon-equipped, high-level lead which is worth quite a bit in itself. The finish is pretty awesome too, although you can't really see that from the pics on the site.

MuFu.

7. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any reviews of the BK XLS 200, or can anyone suggest a way of getting to hear one?

8. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

There is no real way of getting an audition of the XLS 200 as BK do not have any distributors as they are manufacturers. One of the forum memebers bought a cherry demo version some time back and it may be worth a PM to amordue and ask what he thinks of his sub

I think I have described the test proceedure at BK before, we use a piece of kit called DAASL3+ and a carpark, the plot for the sub can be found at http://www.bkelec.com/diy/xls10.htm Its not anachoic but tested in the open.

The Peerless XLS10 is as MuFu states a proven recipe.

The CHT10 is also a very good sub and well worth a look

Hope this help

Tom

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    amordue lives next door to me and I've had plenty experience of his BK Elec sub. It's a lovely little sub, beautifully finished, and sounds very good in his small HT room. Physically it's very reminiscent of the REL Q200, and IME it has similar performance to it (which is saying something, seeing as it was half the price!)

Cheers,

Dunc

10. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd definitely second the fact that you are getting something very similar to a REL Q200E (performance-wise) for less than half the money. To be honest I actually prefer the BK semi-gloss finish to REL's "Brittex" black.

I also demo'd a B&W ASW675 a while ago and liked it very much. I'd take that over this sub, but of course you're looking at something that costs £400 more!

That's the best thing, IMO. It's like buying a VX220 from Lotus. :D ;)

MuFu.