• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bizarre USB problem with new Mac Mini

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I have just picked up a refurb Mac Mini and am using it with a Logitech K400 USB keyboard. It all works fine, until I connect an external HDD.

At that point the keyboard stops working, but it is fine again when I remove the HDD! I have tried varying the USB ports I am using for each, but it doesn't seem to be able to support both at once.

I don't really want to send it back to Apple if it is a 'feature' rather than a fault, but I have never seen anything like this before.

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
daveb975 it’s definitely not a feature, all USB ports should work together fully loaded with devices, it could be a problem, but most my guess would be to reset the SMC and/or PMU, follow the instructions in the links, this *should* fix it, don’t forget you have 90days phone support even with refurbs if your nearest Apple store is not too local.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom