Bizarre Supermarket incident. What would you have done?

It seems our nation's small children are in karmic balance at the moment. I went shopping on Sunday morning and whilst absent mindedly looking for an extra strong mint, I dropped a fiver without noticing and proceeded off towards the onions. I was pulled up short by a small child- I am not good at children's ages, I imagine about four years old- who solemnly told me I had dropped it and gave it back to me. A small act that served to remind me that our progress towards hell in a handbasket is often overstated.

Did you reward the child for his/her honesty?

If it was me I'd have told them to keep the fiver for such a nice gesture.

It seems our nation's small children are in karmic balance at the moment. I went shopping on Sunday morning and whilst absent mindedly looking for an extra strong mint, I dropped a fiver without noticing and proceeded off towards the onions. I was pulled up short by a small child- I am not good at children's ages, I imagine about four years old- who solemnly told me I had dropped it and gave it back to me. A small act that served to remind me that our progress towards hell in a handbasket is often overstated.

I know for a fact my daughter would do the same.
Wouldn't even cross her mind to keep it.
Did you reward/compliment the child/parent?

It's a bizarre one alright.

Followed her round and placed random items in her trolley while she wasn't looking, either that or take stuff out :D

The OP is evidently just a victim of one of those annoying parents that think their little angels can do no wrong.
My daughter accidentally cycled out in front of a slow moving car the other day, making the driver brake (he was doing about 10mph).
I can easily imagine some parents having a a go at the driver.:rolleyes:
I gave the driver a wave and gave my daughter into trouble.

Not everyone is in a comfortable position to do such, you have to remember a lot of people now are out of work due to the current state of things, not everyone may be able to reward the child so kindly.

Not everyone is in a comfortable position to do such, you have to remember a lot of people now are out of work due to the current state of things, not everyone may be able to reward the child so kindly.

He could have given the child his shopping list at least.

I confess that as I am somewhere between subsistence freelance and unemployed at the moment, I couldn't really spare the fiver but I did thank him profusely and tell his Dad who looked chuffed as well. I'd have offered him an extra strong mint but I believe that offering sweets to small children you don't really know is frowned upon.

What a strange thing to happen? I first would have said that I need the list because I can't remember what was on it.

The reply might have been just as annoying as the first...

So I grab an item off the shelf (or out of my trolley) and offer it the child for the list...

The child takes the item (unpaid for), and gives me the list...

Do they make it out the door with the item? :rotfl:

Annoying but not much you can do about it really. The mother was obviously one of those 'I can do no wrong and if you criticise my child you are criticising ME' sorts of idiots which are increasingly common these days.

I feel kind of sorry for the child which is obviously not getting proper parenting - that will probably result in all kinds of behavioural/social problems later in life.

But frankly, no point getting into an argument with a cretin like that as no telling what they could do if provoked. Just not worth it over a point of principle - let the morons go on their way and be glad you are not them.

Ditto. However, given the PC mad state of the world at the moment, giving kids money is a super market would probably get you pinned down by in-store security with a lungful of CS/Mace and ending up on the sex offenders register. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What a strange thing to happen? I first would have said that I need the list because I can't remember what was on it.

The reply might have been just as annoying as the first...

So I grab an item off the shelf (or out of my trolley) and offer it the child for the list...

The child takes the item (unpaid for), and gives me the list...

Do they make it out the door with the item? :rotfl:

Thats the best response ive heard here. It drops the issue firmly at the parents door without causing a scene or apportioning blame...

...until the woman and child get to the checkouts, and by then youre long gone! :rotfl:

bowfer clearly prefers to have his food made for him, he has a point customer service should come first, and in other jobs i would of gone out of my way to provide him with a ham sandwich (even if i worked in dominos pizza)

however. i wouldnt of liked to see a member of staff go get a ÂŁ1 breadloaf, a ÂŁ1 packet of ham. take 2 slices of each and charge me ÂŁ3 ..... thats just bloody stupid :rotfl:

Ditto. However, given the PC mad state of the world at the moment, giving kids money is a super market would probably get you pinned down by in-store security with a lungful of CS/Mace and ending up on the sex offenders register. :rolleyes:

Or, put in a more level-headed way, rewarding common courtesy with money doesn't really send out the best of messages.

Let me guess, you never write anything down because your memory is perfect, you never need shopping lists and your mobile phone has no numbers stored in it because your memory is perfect?

Is this idle rhetoric or are you inviting an answer? Presuming you're not simply wasting my time and yours, in answer to the first question: correct. Second question: correct. Third question: I don't own a mobile phone, shock horror.

I stand by what I said - you have to get the basics right. Personally, I don't have different levels of whats 'OK' to steal and what's 'not OK' - Call me old fashioned, but from where I stand, theft is theft.

The mother standing there and defending the sons obvious lies, is clearly going to have a detrimental effect on his development.

I challenge anybody to do a full weekly shop for a family of 4, and remember everything you need without writing it down. Unless of course you buy the same thing every week :rolleyes:

Family of three and yes, we do buy the same stuff every week. It's a right revelation this forum lark isn't it?

Stand by what you say, by all means (it's a rare event when any of us stands down round here) and I'm in total agreement with you: theft is theft and if parents don't set examples to their children, then who will? However, some things are more important than others and I dare say that only in Blighty (where every man is but a hair's breadth from becoming Basil Fawlty) would we see someone becoming so het up over something as trivial as a shopping list. The idea that some here would allow themselves to degenerate into a slanging match with the mother in the middle of a supermarket says it all really.

The idea that some here would allow themselves to degenerate into a slanging match with the mother in the middle of a supermarket says it all really.

As I'm sure you're aware, I never suggested that anybody should get into a slagging match with anybody. Clearly the mother of this child was not somebody that you could reason with.

I'll say it again so it's really clear for you. I was just suggesting that theft of somebody else's property is wrong, irrespective of it's perceived value.

Punch the woman's lights out, snatch the shopping list off the child and turn around to the applause of most of the people in the store.

:thumbsup::clap:

Before being arrested for common assault...

Damn, there's a flaw in my plan :)

Dave

Punch the woman's lights out, snatch the shopping list off the child and turn around to the applause of most of the people in the store.

:thumbsup::clap:

Before being arrested for common assault...

Damn, there's a flaw in my plan :)

Dave

Nah just grab the adams apple ,alot quieter ,kid might be a little upset though watching his mum choke.
:devil:

It's like Chinese whispers on here. the story now reads....

I was out shopping when my list was stolen by a child who was out with his Tranny Father. I asked for the list back, but ended up in a slagging match with the tranny. A crowd of people had gathered around at this point, it was looking bad. I wish I had a mobile phone to call for help, but I don't. So I grabbed the trannies Adam's apple, and whilst he was choking, I grabbed the list back from the child. the crowd applauded me as I left the shop. :D

That was just your personal interpretation of the last three posts ;)

I think most people have a grip on what the whole thread is about :)

That was just your personal interpretation of the last three posts ;)

I think most people have a grip on what the whole thread is about :)

I think Pincho has his own grip on everything, let's just leave him to it :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom