Bizarre Supermarket incident. What would you have done?

The Hemulen

Established Member
Reaction score
Was visiting my brothers at the weekend. His wife arrived back from Tesco after we arrived obviously pretty wound up. As well as the normal Bank Holiday supermarket hell things were taken to a new level by the following incident.
A young child wandered up to her trolley and took the shopping list from the clipboard thing by the handle. As the kid wandered off with the list she not surprisingly asked him for it back. At this point the kids mother asked what was going on so she politely informed her that her child had taken the list and could she have it back please.
Now you'd assume at this the parent would return the list with an apology but no.. She asked the child where he got it. He said 'on the floor' so she said 'well he found it so it's his isn't it' and walked off with it.
The mother in question wasn't some tracksuit wearing chav as it might sound either.
What would you have done in that situation? I'm pretty sure I'd have gone balistic and grabbed back the list with some choice words directed at the mother. Probably more sensibly she walked away in case it kicked off.

Grabbed the list and let it kick off. Even if found on the floor, still her property. Handwriting would have demonstrated that.

Last edited:
Was visiting my brothers at the weekend. His wife arrived back from Tesco after we arrived obviously pretty wound up. As well as the normal Bank Holiday supermarket hell things were taken to a new level by the following incident.
A young child wandered up to her trolley and took the shopping list from the clipboard thing by the handle. As the kid wandered off with the list she not surprisingly asked him for it back. At this point the kids mother asked what was going on so she politely informed her that her child had taken the list and could she have it back please.
Now you'd assume at this the parent would return the list with an apology but no.. She asked the child where he got it. He said 'on the floor' so she said 'well he found it so it's his isn't it' and walked off with it.
The mother in question wasn't some tracksuit wearing chav as it might sound either.
What would you have done in that situation? I'm pretty sure I'd have gone balistic and grabbed back the list with some choice words directed at the mother. Probably more sensibly she walked away in case it kicked off.

Take a bag of flour out of her trolley and empty it over the bitch.

Grabbed the list and let it kick off. Even if found on the floor, still her property. Handwriting would have demonstrated that.

And me.....stuff it, people like this need it "taking to them"!!

Sounds like the type that allow their little darlings to "express themselves", but do sod all about good manners and discipline ... get that occasionally on flights with little turds kicking the back of my seat

I wouldnt have let that go....i would have gone nuts at the stupid woman and she wuld have started crying and so would her kid. Then i would have taken the list off the stupid little brat.

Shoved the kid back where it came from? :rotfl:

Seriously though, would deffo had words about that and got my list back.

I would want my wife to walk away and not risk being stabbed.

The classic modern parent who thinks the sun shines out of little Johnny's backside and that that he's 'so bright' his school can't teach him any more. :rolleyes:

Another vote for the bag of flour.

I would want my wife to walk away and not risk being stabbed.

Yep, dangerous places those supermarkets......everybody carries a knife. :D

A mate of mine is a manager in Morrisons. On Easter Sunday he and three (male) colleagues were hospitalised after attempting to break up a fight between two women - they were using broken bottles. The two caused over ÂŁ2k worth of damage, not bad for a quiet Sunday afternoon. :suicide:

I'd have been very polite and very, very loud and verbally remonstrated with her the whole way round the shop telling everyone and all the staff nearby that she allowed her son to steal things from my trolley. And then I'd probably get a punch in the face from her husband!

Knowing where Posh Blokes from your probably right.:D

It's simple.

I'd follow the mother and child until she takes her eye off him, then pick him up and throw him over my shoulder. If challenged, I'd just say I'd found him on the floor, so he's mine now.

Seriously though - what is the world coming too. As a father of two, I expect them to treat everybody with complete respect. If he was mine, I'd get him to give it back, and make him apologise himself. (not that mine would do something like this :rolleyes:)

Loving the responses from some people here - drop kick the kid..empty flour over the mother. Doubtless these are the very same people who bemoan the state of the nation today.

Basically, it was a shopping list. I mean, who cares, really?

Loving the responses from some people here - drop kick the kid..empty flour over the mother. Doubtless these are the very same people who bemoan the state of the nation today.

Erm, i'm guessing the owner of the list :rolleyes: there is a reason why people make lists and it was probably wanted so nothing was forgotten. I would of asked the women again for it politely, if not i would of gone apesh t and caused a nice scene :clap:

Sad but true,supermarkets are full of nutters! my local supermarket(sainsbury's in merton).An argument over a chav que jumping,resulting in her boyfriend coming back to the store and punching an innocent by stander.This big brave young lad punched a 50+year old man,and sadly killed him:eek:.just goes to show what scum we have lurking about!Shocking!!!

You have to get the basics of behavior right. If a small child thinks it's OK to just go around taking things, then next time it might be a handbag.

I'm guessing you're not a parent?

Guess again, chief. I don't think an overt attachment to a piece of paper with product listed on it is the exclusive right of parents so I'd be interested in your "reasoning" there. Thing is, if you can't remember what you wrote on that piece of papaer, maybe it's time to lay off the weed. Short term memory loss...terrible thing.

Yeah, it's a shopping list and not the end of the world in loosing it but it's the principal. What if it was her handbang, phone, Ipod etc... that the kid had "found on the floor"

Erm, i'm guessing the owner of the list :rolleyes: there is a reason why people make lists and it was probably wanted so nothing was forgotten. I would of asked the women again for it politely, if not i would of gone apesh t and caused a nice scene :clap:

Yeah, see above, mate. If you can't remember what you need - and furthermore if you think it's worthy of debate that a small child thought it was jolly good fun to go and nick said precious piece of paper - well, maybe you lack proper perspective, mate. Loving the guy who believes that people get stabbed in supermarkets over such things, though. Yeah, right.

Yeah, it's a shopping list and not the end of the world in loosing it but it's the principal. What if it was her handbang, phone, Ipod etc... that the kid had "found on the floor"

It wasn't though, was it. And it woldn't have been, either. Ever. So, um, let's get sensible eh?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom