Bizarre problem with Panasonic DMR-E55, please help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lionanthewolff, Mar 30, 2005.

1. lionanthewolff

lionanthewolff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend in the UK, who is currently without a computer, has asked for some help with a very strange problem with his DMR-E55. Here's what he's said about trying to record some videos:
    "It looks like the format is ntsc, or another version of PAL with the same field rate. Only problem is, when I try to record them onto dvdr, there's a black block/line at the bottom of the screen. it doesn't interfere with the actual picture - it just pushes the screen up. I had a converter before (ntsc to pal) but it didn't work with this format. this leads me to believe that the tape is another version of PAL (maybe south american). I've tried converting them to PAL format tape, but it has a flickering line or 2 on the screen.

I can get it so that the picture shows as full screen through the dvd player when i scart it through av2 from the video. There's a section on the settings on the dvd recorder which allows me to do this (a decode option). it then plays ok as full screen.

but when i record it, it records with the bottom 1/8th of the picture pushed up with a black border at the bottom of the screen. I only realised this when i went to play back what i thought would be a full screen recording.

it's like the picture is being pushed up. Not sure if it's to do with the frame or field rate."

Not being familiar with Pal or UK connections (such as scart) I thought this would be the best place for some advice.
    Thank you very much,
    Erik

2. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Could it be pal60?

3. lionanthewolff

lionanthewolff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may be right. I've looked up pal60 and found that it's used in Brazil, and he did mention that he got the tapes from South America. Okay, now is there any way to convert that so the bottom black bar is removed. There seems to be some mention on other forums that it may just be the tv? Newer tv's should be able to play pal60 correctly, but maybe his can't? Just a thought.

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL60 is not a standard signal, its a converted NTSC(60hz)signal to PAL(60hz) format by analogue conversion to chroma, newer TV's are OK, older need vertical hold adjustment.

To be fully compatible with a PAL recording device, a NTSC signal needs to be digitally converted from NTSC(60hz 525 lines) to PAL(50hz 625 lines), ie. the conversion process actually inserts 100 extra lines (every 3rd or 4th line) whilst also converting the chroma/burst signal.

If the tapes are in quasi PAL(60hz) format then conversion near impossible without complicated software, so to answer your question, don't buy tapes in south america!