Question Bizarre problem - Rear Dolby modules not working when Audyssey is on (Denon 6700)

dbull058

Novice Member
I just set up my home theater with a Denon 6700 and a 7.2.4 setup using Elac speakers and Dolby modules. All is working well except for one quite odd problem. I'm wondering if others with this (or similar) setup can check if they have the issue, or if anyone can suggest a fix.

Basically, whenever Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is turned on, I get no sound from my rear Atmos modules (the fronts and all other channels work just fine). All I hear from them is a very faint white noise. If I go into the receiver settings (Audio > Audyssey) and turn the Audyssey to "Off," then I'll hear Atmos content for all channels, including the rear modules. Turn it back to Reference or Flat, and no sound from the rear modules again.

It's hard to see the connection, if the Audyssey is just doing EQ/delay/levels. You'd think it just incorrectly set the levels far too low, but that's not it. Audyssey set the rear Atmos levels comparable to the front modules, and turning up the rears has no effect. And when I manually adjust the levels, it properly plays the test tones through the rear modules exactly as it does the front ones. Going into the MultEQ editor app, the measurements for the rear modules look about the same as for the fronts, as do the corrected curves.

I also tested it out by playing the Dolby Atmos helicopter demo video. The front modules worked just fine, but once it panned to the back I could only hear the lower frequencies through my rear surrounds, and not the higher frequencies (or any other sound) from the Atmos modules. My crossover frequency is set at 150Hz for the modules, and 80 for all other channels. So it's like the receiver is trying to send the overhead sound to the rears, the 80-150Hz frequency range is passed to the adjacent surround channel (as it's supposed to do), but the Atmos module itself stays silent for the sounds it should be playing (those over 150Hz).

If it weren't for the fact that the test tones (in the Levels adjustment page) and the Audyssey test sweeps/chirps were working properly, it would seem that the modules or receiver outs were just nonfunctional. The fact that all works just fine *unless* Audyssey's EQ is turned out makes this an absolute mystery to me.

In case it's helpful, my front Dolbys are connected to the Height1 outs, and my rear Dolbys to the Height2 outputs, as directed in the setup guide.

Anyone experiencing (or able to replicate) this issue? Any suggestions of what it could possibly be? Thanks!
 

gibbsy

Moderator
Welcome to the Forum.

There is an owners' thread for the 6700 and I'm sure someone has mentioned this problem in there. Worth you having a look.

 

dbull058

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

There is an owners' thread for the 6700 and I'm sure someone has mentioned this problem in there. Worth you having a look.


Thanks -- I'd looked at that forum but didn't see anyone discussing this issue. I wasn't sure if it was an issue specific to that receiver, or if it's a more general problem with my setup in some way, so I figured I'd cast a broader net in this forum. I'll check on that thread and see if anyone is experiencing this issue though...
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom