1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre Freeview Tuning Problem

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by gdimelow, Dec 31, 2004.

1. gdimelow

gdimelow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the past I've always used Sky digital for all TV viewing because the terrestrial picture from our fixed aerial was always terrible. But I just bought a Panasonic Viera plasma with built in Freeview and was delighted to find that it all worked fine with my existing aerial connection. However, althought the majority of channels work fine with great picture, there are no BBC channels. The auto search starts at ITV, then C4, Five and so on. It gets stranger though...

I just bought the Sony Freeview box for the bedroom (VTX D800) because we had the same crappy reception there as in the louge previously. But when I did the autotune on the Sony, it picked up everything (including all the BBC channels) but no ITV, ITV 2, ITV 3, C4 or Five! So I've gfot half working perfectly downstairs, and half working perfectly upstairs.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Please!!!!!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    How have you split the aerial feed ? A passive splitter, or a distribution amp ?

3. gdimelow

gdimelow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't split it at all. I'm just using a standard aerial connection to go from viera to wall socket (in the lounge) or freeview box to socket (in the bedroom). To be honest I've never gone near the aerial itself up in the attic.

Also, each time I try and re-auto tune the freeview box, it seems to find less and less channels. It's currently reading no channels at all, but when I tried it with a crappy set-top aerial that I haven't used in years, it was able to find loads of channels again. Still no ITV, C4 or FIVE though. Getting very confused.

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had similar erratic freeview tuning on my new viera. Mr Repairman fitted new higain roof ariel and all sorted.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you have an aerial socket in the lounge, and one in the bedroom, the feed must be split somewhere :)

If the original installer of the aerial used a passive splitter, "standing wave reflections" within the cable can cause some digital multiplexes (the signals containing the different channel groups) to be of much lower strength than the others. Given that these muxes are about a tenth of the power of analogue signals, you don't have to have much of an aerial problem to mess them up.

happyh has the best advice. Get an outside aerial professionally fitted. If you got a lousy picture on analogue, it's not going to work well with Freeview either. Digital TV usually either works perfectly, or not at all, there aren't many in-betweens, but not getting all channels is a sign of a bad aerial.

6. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had four old aerials replaced by the best digital one prior to getting my Viera and get exerlent reception all stations with Freeview being the best.

7. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39