1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre behaviour of PSM192.....

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by PhilB1234, Dec 19, 2004.

1. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .....I'd be grateful for any advice as to what to do to resolve a problem with my DVD32+PSM192.
    When watching certain films and certain parts of discs the player outputs a 960x576 through the DVI socket. Firstly, I didn't think it was possible for the player to output anything other than 720x576, and secondly it seems to depend on what's being shown.
    This resolution isn't recognised by either my scaler or projector so is just shown as a small, compressed image in the middle of the screen.
    Is this time for a master re4set? If so, How?

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Phil,

The DVI will output 960x576 when 4:3 material is present and it would appear that your PSM is configured to format it into a 16:9 frame. The increase of horizontal resolution is to avoid a loss of resolution in the 4:3 image when the black bars are added. If your other components don't handle this then configure the PSM via the AV to not auto squeeze the image.

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it might be to do with format, but haven't got it set up to auto-switch format. Should I toggle the settings to make sure?
    Thanks for the quick response, too!

4. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve.
    Just gone through both the AV (PSM) and DVD player menus and checked all the settings, and they are as they should be. Any thoughts as to what's happening?
    Do you think it might be worth doing a reset as a 'spring clean'?
    If so, can you remind me how?!

5. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Phil, this is how you do a master reset:

1. Turn power off
    2. hold down on front panel ‘digital’, ‘thx cinema’ and ‘>’ keys
    3. While holding down the 3 keys switch unit on
    4. On display will be the word "EEPROM"
    5. Now release ‘digital’, ‘thx cinema’ and ‘>’ keys
    6. Press the "normal" button.

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Teejoo....
    One of these days I'll write it down!
    Should I reset the AV, DVD or both do you think? Do you know the reset 'code' for the DVD too?

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Phil,

Not convinced an eeprom reset is in order for the AV. It's an old wives tale that these things sort out AV32DP and 192R's as the system ensures all stored values are in bounds at startup and will correct (and moan) accordingly if not. When I get home tonight I'll go through the menu and let you know the areas to check.

By the way, what AV processor do you have as the video processing options change depending on installed equipment.

8. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve, that's useful to know.... I'd always thought that doing a reset tidies things up but obviously that's done at turn on.
    I'm using an AV32-DP.....

9. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Phil,

Go into:
    Menu->Change Setup->Input Options->Video Inputs->External DVD32+PSM192

Change the option "4:3 to 16:9 conversion" to "No Conversion".

While there (and incase of old sw) also go into the video input setup that is assigned for your DVD input (DVD-S?). So go to for example:
    Menu->Change Setup->Input Options->Video Inputs->S-Video Inputs->DVD-S.
    Change the option "Source Aspect Ratio" to "16:9 Anamorphic".

Exit the menu system then change away from the DVD input and then back again.... see what happens!

I assume that the TAGtronic link between your DVD player and AV is ok so automated things like syncronised display brightness, standby control etc. all work.

Good luck!

10. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha!
    I think you've spotted what I hadn't done..... The only recent change to my sytem that could have been related to this change in action was the addition of a scaler and therefore the removal of de-interlacing duties from the DVD32 for external sources....
    There are still acttions listed in the S- sources menu when there's no switching of inputs wanted to so maybe there's a conflict of instructions....
    I'll check things out this evening.
    Once again, thanks for your help Steve.

11. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Things get odder! It seems that each time I turn the DVD32 on the DVI isn't outputting anything viewable, but when I toggle the 4:3 conversion option on the AV32 a picture appears and then everything works normally.....
    Any thoughts?