Question Bizarre auto correct problem

geeWcee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I updated my iphone 7 to the latest software update this morning. Ever since then, whenever I type the word "is" in any application the phone is auto-correcting it to "I.S" (capital letters)

I can't seem to change it at all. Ive tried resetting my dictionary, changed languages and back, even tried adding a shortcut so that "is" spells "is" when typed but it changes nothing.
As you can imagine it's becoming a real pain to constantly have to change "I.S" every time its put in place of "is".

Anyone any idea wtf has happened?

I'm not sure how to resolve it but there is a member on here who has the same issue but with it and I.T. I'll try and find his thread so you can see what he has done.

Edit: If you read from here onwards you can see this member has the same problem, I think he has gone to the Apple store to try and resolve the issue.

Apple iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus Review & Comments

Last edited:
Not you as well!!!! lol

I posted about my problem in the following thread from post #610
iPhone 8/ 8+, iPhone X, Apple Watch 3 & Apple TV 4K officially launched

My problem is as Iceman10 said with the word ‘it’. Whenever I type ‘it’ my iPhone auto corrects to ‘I.T’.
I have tried everything you have done plus everything else I can think of including, resetting the keyboard, creating shortcuts etc and I even reinstalled iOS 11 and that worked for a matter of hours before the problem returned.

I have been on to Apple Support and I am still waiting for them to come back to me.

I.T may help if you contact them also. The more of us that report this problem the more likely they are to sort I.T out.

Thanks guys, I havent a clue why its suddenly started doing this. Its not like Ive ever used the phrase I.S ever so not sure why its felt the need to replace "is".
Good to know I'm not alone, I'll report it to Apple support then so they know yours is not an isolated issue. Cheers!

This might work for you. If you're just using the standard iOS keyboard. Just keep typing the word over and over a few times... E.g. is is is is is - but do it slowly and choose the correct word on the auto correct suggestions before you hit space so it doesn't change to I.S. and then it will become the default word after you do that several times.

Apple support have just told me to turn off autocorrect in the Keyboard settings. Apparently that is an acceptable solution to them....

This might work for you. If you're just using the standard iOS keyboard. Just keep typing the word over and over a few times... E.g. is is is is is - but do it slowly and choose the correct word on the auto correct suggestions before you hit space so it doesn't change to I.S. and then it will become the default word after you do that several times.
I’ve tried this nemerous times to no avail mate but thanks for the suggestion.

Apple support have just told me to turn off autocorrect in the Keyboard settings. Apparently that is an acceptable solution to them....
I first spoke to a standard advisor and was then passed up to a senior tech advisor. The senior guy said he was escalating I.T further to try and find a solution for me.
I was asked to turn autocorrect off just as a process of elimination but then asked to turn I.T back on again.

What was the outcome?

Still talking to them now mate... its like getting blood out of a stone. Where do they find these support guys??

That’s very strange never had that problem on my iPhone 7, I’m on IOS 11.0.3 here.

I know it’s a ball ache but have you considered trying a restore? That fixes a lot of these types of issues that can’t seem to be fixed

OK problem resolved. The senior tech said this problem can happen if you update over the air rather than on Itunes itself. So he got me to perform a backup of the current state of my phone onto Itunes on the PC, then did a full reset of the phone (which downloads latest IOS) and set up as a new device. As expected the I.S. problem was gone. So then I restored the backup from earlier back onto the phone and the problem has been solved! Advice is in future to install updates via your desktop.

Last edited:
OK problem resolved. The senior tech said this problem can happen if you update over the air rather than on Itunes itself. So he got me to perform a backup of the current state of my phone onto Itunes on the PC, then did a full reset of the phone (which downloads latest IOS) and set up as a new device. As expected the I.S. problem was gone. So then I restored the backup from earlier back onto the phone and the problem has been solved! Advice is in future to install updates via your desktop.

Exactly what I said then, restore it.

In earlier versions of iOS. In the predictive text box above the keyboard, you could long press on the offending word and it would give an option to remove it from the keyboard memory (it's possible I could've been using a third party keyboard that did this rather than the default one).
There also used to be a 'reset keyboard dictionary' option in settings.
These options seems to have now been removed which is a shame.

Last edited:
EDIT: the reset keyboard dictionary option is still there, it's just moved from being in the keyboard settings.
Go to settings > reset (at bottom of list) and it appears in there.
IMG_4583.jpg

I might be wrong but I think I remember @Deeez Nuuutz saying that he did this and the problem went but returned shortly afterwards.

Yeah my problem returned the day after. Although I originally updated to iOS 11 over WiFi and then reset and reinstalled again over WiFi.

Let us know if this returns or if all is still okay after a few days.

If all is fine I’ll try doing the same and install from iTunes.

I’m still waiting for Apple support to get back to me :rolleyes:

Yeah my problem returned the day after. Although I originally updated to iOS 11 over WiFi and then reset and reinstalled again over WiFi.

Let us know if this returns or if all is still okay after a few days.

If all is fine I’ll try doing the same and install from iTunes.

I’m still waiting for Apple support to get back to me :rolleyes:

It really is an odd issue, come to think of it I think I had the same problem but I can’t remember which word it was. I don’t think it was as common as it or is.

I would have thought the basic troubleshooting would have resolved it but no.

I’ve been running the betas for a while and I think my issue fixed itself.

How exactly did you reinstall from a backup after setting up as a new device??

It really is an odd issue, come to think of it I think I had the same problem but I can’t remember which word it was. I don’t think it was as common as it or is.

I would have thought the basic troubleshooting would have resolved it but no.

I’ve been running the betas for a while and I think my issue fixed itself.

I’ve hoped my issue was going to sort itself but I’m still waiting lol

I have the same problem with is being defaulted it I.S

My phone was updated in itunes, and was originally setup as a new phone, and restored from an icloud backup.

Predictive text is off (as I don't like it anyway), but autocorrect is on.

No issue with it (I.T) though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom