1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biwiring question. How is it done?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wiggins, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi everyone,
    I've recently purchased a Sony STRDB940, and my speakers arrived in the post yesterday (Eltax Chroma System).
    The two front speakers have 4 seperate binding posts. I understand this means I can bi-wire them. All the other speakers (rears + centre) have just 2 binding posts).
    I read on the Eltax site that If I want to bi-wire the speakers then I must do so for all the speakers, not just the fronts. This was incredibly vague and didn't mention if it mattered whether you physically could or not. Is this correct?
    Basically at the moment I have the rears and centre connected with just a single positive and single negative cable to the reciever, and the two fronts have two seperate negatives and two seperate positives wires attached at the speaker end, and the negative cables twisted together at the reciever end and the same for the positives.
    I've just learnt that I need to remove the metal strip connecting the binding posts on the speakers, so I'll do that tonight, but apart from that have I done everything correctly. The last thing I want to do is ruin the speakers/reciever before I've even had a chance to watch a film!
    Thanks in advance!
    Alex Wright-Gibbins

2. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will have done everything correctly as soon as you remove the metal strip between the speaker binding posts (it won't damage them but will undo the effect of biwiring - it would be possible to cause damage if you were biamping...but that's a different question)

You will gain no benefit by untwisting the ends of the cables at the amp end and connecting each to one of the 4 binding posts (incidentally, you would also need to set the speaker selector to A+B for this to work) - so basically, stick with what you've got.

In terms of what Eltax said, it is misleading. You don't have to biwire all your speakers. You will not harm your system by not biwiring a center or rears if you are doing so for the fronts. Indeed, if you had speakers on the back and center which could be biwired then you would be a lucky (&probably rich) man.

If you do fall into this (rich) category, then by all means biwire all your speakers by as for your fronts - i.e. no need for 4 terminals for each channel at the amp.

Can't guarantee you won't get divorced by the missus for running so much cable all over the house though - know I'd be in trouble!

Gid

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    That's it m8. All done and dusted.