1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biwiring - possible with this setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bbanduser, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Denon 3802 driving my front B&W 602S3's and the centre is a B&W CDM NT SE. Now all of these can be bi-wired. Opinion seems to be varied regarding bi-wiring, so I won't ask if this will improve the sound!

What I want to know is whether it is possible to bi wire using this receiver? It has only one pair of binding posts per speaker, so how will I biwire them(that is how will I get 4 sets of cables per speaker?)? Will I have to get speakers which have two runs at one end and 4 at the other?

Right now I have single wiring for all of them and the brass runs connecting the 2 terminals on the speaker. What will happen if I run the same wire through the 2 binding posts with same polarity on the speaker side? What if I do this and leave the brass connectors in place while doing this?

It's a lot of questions...sorry!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As you've rightly said,biwiring can give variable results,and the best way to asess the results is just to try it.

You can biwire your speakers using your Denon,by simply running a second set of cables from each terminal,to the appropriate connection on the speakers,remembering to remove the bridging bars between the speaker terminals,otherwise there's little point in biwiring.

3. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks alexs2. What about me passing the same cable through both terminals with same polarity on the speaker side, instead of using another speaker cable?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Technically speaking you can do this....but it won't constitute biwiring,and basically it's no different to using the links supplied with your speakers to bridge the 2 terminals.

The idea of biwiring is (in theory anyway!)to give each drive unit a separate path to earth at the amp terminals,and also to offer lower resistance etc....whether or not any of that is actually true or not,some speakers do sound much better when biwired,and my 805's were a good example,so much so that even my wife noticed it,and she usually doesnt!.....having said that,a lot of speakers will have no discernible benefit.

5. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got you!
    Thanks. But would it be better to buy bi-wiriable cable, or buy another length of normal speaker cable and connecting it to the same binding post on the amp side?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ok....the whole speaker cable thing is a real can of worms,and a search here on the subject will show you the results....if you just want a trial,use another run of a reasonably priced cable(what are you using now?)and see if you get a result worthwhile,before going to the expense of dedicated biwiring cables(which are for the most part simply 2 runs of identical cabling in one cable sheath,with the exception of some high-end cables e.g Kimber and Nordost).

I use a mixture of Kimber 8TC for the bass and 4TC for the treble on my system,but it's not a particularly cheap solution(although cheap by Kimber's standards!).