1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biwiring Colour Codes ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by safesurfer, Jul 27, 2005.

1. safesurfer

safesurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've just got some Atlas biwires for my Quad 12L's speakers, I'm using a Marantz PM66 Signature. The problem is which colour goes where, I know that the red and blue wire go to the positive terminals but don't know which ones, the HF or LF terminals. The other colours are yellow and white.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Mark Purmal

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sigh. I can't believe how much money people spend without knowing the basics.

IT DOESN'T MATTER. The cable consists of four conductors. Two of these run from the positive terminal of the amp, and should be connected to the two positive terminals on your speaker. It matters not which wire goes to which driver [1]. The other two run from the negative terminal of the amp, and should be connected to the two negative terminals of the speaker. Again, which goes where is irrelevant.

[1] This assumes that all four conductors are identical other than jacket / plug colour. The manufacturer may choose to use different bass/treble cables, but I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Easy there Troon, this is generally a very friendly forum. Welcome Safesurfer. :hiya:

Having said that I would tend to agree that it doesn't matter whether you connect to the HF or LF terminals (some people connect one to HF and one to LF). :)

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    no need to be nasty, troon - we all start from somewhere...

5. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If my advice came over as nasty, I sincerely apologize, I didn't mean it to. My exasperation comes from safesurfer owning a very nice pair of Quads, and (presumably) spending a significant sum of money on speaker cables without understanding why.

Jealousy, I guess, and a dislike for speaker cable pseudo-science. :D

Seriously, safesurfer, welcome, and I hope my previous post was helpful to you.

I _think_ you've misunderstood the question. safesurfer has (AFAICT) a four-conductor cable. So long as amp's +ve goes to drivers' +ve and likewise for the -ve, things will work. Only if Atlas have used different HF and LF cable construction does it matter which goes where, and even if you get it wrong, you probably won't tell the difference.

safesurfer - you have removed the bridging bar between the terminals, haven't you?

6. safesurfer

safesurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the reply

I have removed the bridging bars, Im not quite that clueless, but nearly..
    Whether I'll hear the difference, who knows, but since I paid £420 for the speakers I didn't think I should be to tight when it comes to the speaker cables.

cheers

Mark

7. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which Atlas bi-wire cable is it? Normally the Atlas bi-wire cables have one wire thicker than the other. The thicker of the two goes to the LF terminals on the speakers and the thinner to the HF. The theory is that bass needs heavier cable than the treble. Not sure myself but there you go. I used some Atlas 2.0 non bi-wired on my Quad 11L's and found the sound too laidback and actually preferred the cheap cable (came with some Mission FS2-AVs I bought a few years ago) I was originally using. I've now used CAT5 and bi-wired just because I had enough cable to do so. I'm not convinced it makes any difference though!