1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

biwiring/biamping

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BrianC, Sep 29, 2003.

1. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi,

appologies if I've made any mistakes with this:

with my amp its possible to wire up the a & b speakers to a single pair of speakers, running at 6 ohms. What do I need to do
    in order for this to work, special speakers?

ta!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Your speakers need to have 2 sets of binding posts to achieve bi-wiring. Using the A+B speaker outputs from most amps/receivers isn't bi-amping as they usually share the internal amplification. You would need another seperate amplifier.

3. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    you need speakers that can be bi-wired - this is basically where there are two sets of binging posts on the rear - One set for the bass frequecies and one for the upper/mid frequencies.

I would not recommend you wire from the a & b sets of speakers - I would wire from one set on the back of the amp to the pair on the speakers. Use a dedicated biwire cable for this. Something like QED Silver Anniversary is very good at around £8 per metre...

Does this makes sense and what equipment are you running this with???

Andy Cuthbert

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    its a yammy 630 RDS. I have only one set of posts for left & right for a, and again for b speakers.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I wouldn't bother. To get real benefits of biamping you need to go down a bit more higher end gear- say Arcam A75 and P75 area. And not a budget AV Amp.

If you want to upgrade, consider replacing the poweramp stage in the Yamaha with a high power multi-channel poweramp- say Rotel 1075 or 1095 latter 200W per channel!! :)

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if:

1) It was possible
    2) If it was worth doing

I'm just about to buy some new speakers (one set of each of the Tannoy R) so I wanted to check if I should be looking to biwire or not.

Amps due to be replaced in about 6 months (I work on a 24 month replacment cycle :rolleyes: ) so I'll upgrade that then.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) - not with that Yamaha. If you REALLY wanted to bi-amp with that amp, you'll need a 2 channel poweramp with the same gain and characteristics as the Yamaha (input gain and overall sound)

For example, I tried using a Arcam Alpha 9 integrated with a Arcam Alpha 8 Poweramp- you think it'll work OK. However the amp gains are different- at any volume they are not equal (due to different gains)- using a Alpha 9P solved this (same gain)

Since Yamaha don't produce a 2 channel poweramp you're pretty much stuffed (unless you find a poweramp that's identical)

A easier option is to buy a 4 channel poweramp (or two x 2 channel poweramps) and send the Left & Right Pre-outs into these poweramps. The Yamaha's Left/Right pre-outs will be unused.

2)- as before, need to go into a slightly better IMO, to get the sound quality noticeable sound quality improvement.

I have biamped my Hi-Fi speakers for my music system (big improvement)- and also front three speakers in my AV system (not so much of a improvement, more better control- although I've only just biamped the AV Left/Right speakers)