BiWire or Single wire

F

falconer1

I recently purchased a Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player together with its companion Amp the X-150 also Monitor Audio SR6 Speakers and bi-wired them with QED Silver Anniversary Bi- wire. at a cost of £230. My local HiFi dealer now tells me that best results are obtained using Single Wiring. Have I wasted my money?.- Opinions needed please

Do you like what you hear? If so you haven't wasted your money.
I think most speaker cable is a waste of money so if you've paid more than £1.50 per metre for your cable then I believe you've paid too much. But you live and learn.
However, now you've discovered this forum you can hopefully save yourself some money in the future.

As for Bi Wire/Single wire the argument will go on forever (probably) It's cheaper to use a single run but if you have bi wire then it certainly won't hurt anything. I doubt your dealer will be able to tell the difference in a blind test....

Even if bi-wiring works for you, the difference is likely to be subtle. Putting a lot of effort into ensuring the speakers interact with the room perfectly will yield far bigger improvements

falconer1 said:
My local HiFi dealer now tells me that best results are obtained using Single Wiring. Have I wasted my money?.- Opinions needed please

I would assume that your systen sounds very very enjoyable - have you wasted money ? yes. But as the wise chaps above are giving you the same type of "life experience" that you are now enjoying. Good read here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247143

And always single wire and cable jump.

Hi Falconer,
Don't think too much about money wasted. In this hobby it happens to all of us, and we learn from the experience. Hopefully it will be money saved when upgrading in future, when you begin to take wild unsubstantiated claims with a large pinch of salt. I have wasted substantial amounts in the past, and its painful to think about. The trick is not to think about it.

Cheers,
nirmal :)

nirmal said:
Hi Falconer,
Don't think too much about money wasted. In this hobby it happens to all of us, and we learn from the experience.

That's what Ebay is for! There's always some unsuspecting soul who's as gullable as we used to be. Does that make us bad people.....??:devil:

Totally agree with Londondecca's post above. Just towing the speakers to an optimal angle will have more effect and an even greater effect by optimising speaker position in relation to other objects i.e. back wall, chairs/sofa and especiall corners. Many times, it is the room it's self that is the limiting factor in a decent system. Don't forget to optimise your listening position.

Bi amping can make a difference BTW so if you are ever to consider it, the extra cable will come in handy.

Apologies for the :lesson: you probably already know it

Cheers

Croc

Steve.EX said:
1.I think buy-wiring is great.
2. I really like marmite.

2 signs of mental illness (IMHO of course Steve) :D

FWIW your in good company Steve, Keith Howard at HFN thinks so too, so he set about proving there was a measurable difference between the 2, his measurements showed him that there were not, so he recounted 20 years of experience, ie in sighted subjective listening and disregarded the identical measurements to go with his "experience".

Ive heard he likes marmit too. :smashin:

I was being sarcastic: "buy"-wiring anyone?

Doh!

Steve.EX said:
Do you get it?

Marmite no, I never Bi the stuff.

:rotfl:

Apologies, took me a snother read to see what you meant.

Doh. I hereby remove the tag/status of potential "spotter of fairies at the bottom of the garden" I falsely attributed to you earlier dude, due to my inability to read a 6 word sentence.

Steve.EX said:
Buyfocals perhaps?

Buyfocals would be a waste on my right eye Steve, so again Im opting for the single option, Monocle thanks.

Which is it not the name of some Russ Andrews Kimber speaker cable of some sort IIRC ?.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Monocle-X takes the basic woven, interference-rejecting design of KIMBER speaker cables and takes it one step further.

By wrapping the woven cable around an inner core, the cable is better at rejecting interference. Plus, the core serves as an acoustic ‘sink’ isolating the cable and the signals from external vibration.

What you hear, then, is a vast soundstage, characteristic of all KIMBER cables built this way. Plus the Hyper-pure copper means that is sweet and natural sounding, too. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

No doubt sounding infinitely better if used in buy-wired configuration, but only if the amp is facing south and on a Wednesday between 7:00 and 9:30.

CJROSS said:
By wrapping the woven cable around an inner core, the cable is better at rejecting interference. Plus, the core serves as an acoustic ‘sink’ isolating the cable and the signals from external vibration.

What you hear, then, is a vast soundstage, characteristic of all KIMBER cables built this way. Plus the Hyper-pure copper means that is sweet and natural sounding, too. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You can get the same effect then running two pieces of shielded co-ax at 80p per meter and just using the central cores as conductors.

At the HIFI News show one year I was auding a rather nice system I think the amp was from Gamut, anyhow someone asked what the orange speaker wire was and the sales rep coughed and told us they arrived with a shortage of cable so they had nipped out to B&Q and picked up a couple of 20 quid garden extension leads.

It sounded great!

I have tried BI wire using QED silver anniversary, and to be honest I did not detect an improvement, perhaps it my ear.

What I can assure you though that bi-amping provides an astounding improvement.

I think a lot of people looking at upgrading their power amp and becoming depressed at its second hand value could do better picking up another of the amps they already own.

While the position that if you buy them at the same time, one power amp at twice the price gives a better performance then two lesser models may well hold water, adding a 2nd hand copy of the one you already have will give an improvement and often for considerably less than you paid for the original.

someone asked what the orange speaker wire was and the sales rep coughed and told us they arrived with a shortage of cable so they had nipped out to B&Q and picked up a couple of 20 quid garden extension leads.

It sounded great!
:D like it joker_zero and I agree on your take re bi amping as well. No need to face South and wait till Wednesday for this tasty little upgrade. :smashin:

Croc

I have MA Bronze B2 biwired with the Van Den Hull 352 and it is clearly better than single wired. with these speakers I will never go back to single wire again. space and soundstage are the main differences, but I can't swear how EVERY speaker is better in biwiring mode, but this one is miles better.

Sofa1 said:
I have MA Bronze B2 biwired with the Van Den Hull 352 and it is clearly better than single wired. with these speakers I will never go back to single wire again. space and soundstage are the main differences, but I can't swear how EVERY speaker is better in biwiring mode, but this one is miles better.
There are many (myself included) that think this is likely to be a result of crossover design "irregularities" rather than "benefits" gained by adding another run of cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom