1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biwire Or Not?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by patmyhead, Dec 21, 2003.

1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it worth the extra dosh in forking out for biwire cable
    My speakers are capable of a biwire conection but is there a noteable differece in quality in say a 2 core cable costing about £30 & the biwire version
    P@T

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically yes,
    On some speakers huge difference (Particularily Mission and Castle)
    Audibly depends on you're taste and hearing.
    Major thing is don't trim the price of the 4 core to get to the same price as the 2 core.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    You're unlikely to get a consensus on this issue. Some people take the view that for biwiring to improve sound quality would be a violation of basic physical laws, and that it therefore doesn't. Other people claim to have heard real improvements in sound quality to an extent that requires a substantial body of modern Physics to be rewritten.

It is the opinion of some readers on this forum that the entire phenomenon of biwiring was invented by speaker cable manufacturers as a ruse so they could sell you twice as much wire. :)

If you want my opinion, I would say that any selection or arrangement of speaker cabling will make very little difference to sound quality UNLESS the impedance of the cable is a significant fraction of the impedance of the speaker at its lowest (which is a bad thing, for reasons I can't be bothered to go into in detail at the moment).

Cable impedance is usually primarily resistive (unless you do something silly like coiling the cable) so the only thing you usually need to pay attention to is the resistance of the wire.

Biwiring mostly comes down to using two cables in parallel rather than one. That means you halve the resistance of the cable. So, if you are in danger of your cable resistance being a shade too high, it can be a handy way to cut it down. (But then again, so is using a thicker wire).

Also, if the shunt used to connect the two sets of speaker terminals is especially poor quality, you might get some audible benefit from not using it.

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'll second that.....even the missus heard an improvment on my 773e's after bi-wiring with 'average' decent cable and plugs.

Mind you, I told her the two 4m lengths were £35 including plugs.....she wouldn't thought they sounded better if she knew they cost nearly £100...:smashin:

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I have tried both single and bi-wiring with several sets of front speakers and several different cables.
    Neither myself or anyone else who has listened to my systems has ever heard any difference.
    Which is what I'd expect as if the 2 cables are connected to the same speaker terminal on the amp, how could it possibly make any difference at the speaker end..?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've used single,bi,and triwired speaker systems,both active and passive....one thing I have found is that some speaker systems are vastly improved by bi-wiring,and with others it may make no difference at all,and that's using pretty high quality,ultra-low resistance/capacitance cabling(Kimber 8TC or similar).
    The best advice is to try it,using if possible,a good quality set of cables,either from a friendly dealer,or maybe from someone like Russ Andrews,who will let you use cables on extended demos.

7. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment i use cable talk 4.1 if I take one plug out of the speaker the sound does seem not as clear ,even on the DD test tone it sounds much different than when both plugs are in ,sort of muffold like.
    What I was wondering was if i used a better 2 core cable like solar wind @ around £30 a m would this sound better than a bire wire costing around the same
    The cable lenth is around 7M
    P@T

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I presume you do mean that you remove one of two pairs of speaker cables and replace the original shunt cable(s), not just that you pull out one plug?

9. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no i just take out one of the plugs say from the + that leaves one + plug still conected
    P@T

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    But if you don't replace the bridge you are only driving one of the cones so it's no surprise that it sounds muffled...

11. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahhhhhhhhhh
    Never thought of that:clown: :nono:

12. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    'Feelgood factor'. just like how much better you car goes when you change the plugs..:D