1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biwire instructions? Picture included

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by phillips321, Dec 21, 2004.

1. phillips321

phillips321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

I have just purchased my first centre speaker and its a sony ss-cnb2ed.

It has the ability to biwire and im not sure how to do this.

First of all i allways thought that to biwire i would need two seperate speaker outputs on my amp, one for the high and one for the low range. After opening the box i have been corrected by the wiring instructions that came with my speaker, here it is
    [​IMG]
    I currently have it connected up as standard but i have read that biwiring leads to better sound. I cant really understand how this works, the diagram shown for biwiring uses the same terminals on the amp and simply routes the signal accross two sets of wires instead of one? To me both the standard and biwire diagrams are wired up in exaclty the same way, the only difference is that one uses a pair of jumpers while the other uses its own unique wire.

How will this help the sound signal? Can someone please explain.

Cheers

2. phillips321

phillips321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. if it helps i have a yamaha a5 amp

3. phillips321

phillips321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.p.s Also is it okay to use heavy duty power cable to power my speakers? The power cable is alot thicker then the speaker cable i have got.

4. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Basically you've got Bi-wiring and Bi-amping confused. With bi-wiring you are simply carrying the signal from one amplifier to the speaker through two sets of cable. I can't explain the exact physics of it, but the general gist of it is that you're effectively doubling the size of the cable you're using this leads to better signal quality at the speaker. This gives a noticable improvement in sound quality in my experience.

The next step up is Bi-amping. To do this you have two amplifiers and two lengths of cable, one length goes from amp A to the top set of binding posts which drives one set of drivers, and the other amp goes to the bottom set of posts which drives the remaining drivers on the speaker. Some speakers even allow tri-amping. The benefits are greater than with Bi-wiring. Effectively you have one amplifier driving the treble and one driving the bass/mid which is a good step up in performance.

With regards to the cable, I would recommend that you go and get some proper speaker cable for the job. It's not just the size of the cable that matters, but the material which it is made from and ever the way in which it is wound and shielded.

Hope this helps.