1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BitTorrent remote backup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by The Dude, Jul 10, 2005.

1. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    Any BT experts in the house ?

I'm looking into setting up private torrents for backing up my ripped CDs etc to a remote machine(s)

I need a bit of help with creating the Secure/Private .torrent files, and Private Tracker config etc..

Can anyone help?

I thought I'd ask here, before I cross over to the dark side... (Usenet) :eek:

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    BT network is not very secure. Its full of snoopers and nasty trackers TBH. Cant you create an FTP server on your machine secure log in and all that. Last time I look XP (if that's your OS) has an FTP client built in.

Ere ya go.
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1491

If you absolutely positively gotta use BT get an IP blocker and watch all them nasty MPAA/RIAA ip's crashing into your ports, dead funny (or not). :suicide:

This is one of the next gen of P2P, encyption cool. :smashin:
    http://www.i2p.net/

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    That's looking very interesting...gonna be giving this a go.. :smashin:

My plan is this:

Chose a secure P2Pnetwork/protocol...essentially only really has to be 'spy-proof', as the whole system is gonna hopefully be run privately, no public hosting whatsoever..

Install/config the required server SW on a standard XP PC
    setup/config the client side to connect to a similar server

Test until I've got a fully working server/client secure incremental multi-host backup system, working between 2+ PCs at different IP addresses

package the changes into a windows installer package, and give a copy to everybody i know with a PC, broadband and a big HDD collection. :)

If anyone deletes/corrupts a file, they just start a download of their archived version from the (our) network.. ;)

As you can get 300GB of external HDD storage for £150 these days, how much of your mates data that you back up isnt a problem, and using an offsite method means that location is no longer an issue either ;)

There's plenty of SW out there that already does this, but it seems to me that P2P protocols like BT are the way forward anyway in this field, so why not get in there and cook something up for free...? :D