1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittorrent problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by t-force, Feb 5, 2005.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm having a bizarre problem when I'm using bittorrent software:

I've got my PC (Win XP Sv Pk 2) running on a wireless network at home, and that talks to a D-Link DSL-504+ wireless router, which works absolutely fine for most of the time. However, if I'm running bittorrent software - I've tried Azureus, BitComet and the original bittorrent client - the PC seems to stop sending and receiving data from the wireless network. It still says that it's connected, but no data gets through. If I try and select "Repair", the PC can't disable the wireless adaptor and then I have to reboot to get it back up and running again. The only way to get things working seems to be to disconnect from the Wireless network on the "View Available Wireless Network" screen, THEN repair the connection, and then reconnect to the wireless network, which is more than a bit of a pain, to say the least.

Is there any way I can stop this happening? Oh, and if this isn't the right forum to ask on, can a mod move it for me?

Cheers,

Tobs

2. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tobs

Does your internet connection fail totally or only for Bittorrent ?

Ie, can you still get to Google website after Bittorrent has stopped ?

If u r still connected then my question is, do u understand how Bittorrent file-sharing works and more specifically, the port-forwarding requirements to get best performance from Bittorrent when connected to the internet by a router ?

Mike

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    It's the whole thing - no WWW, no email, nothing. In answer to your other question, yes I've checked which ports are required, and got them forwarded from the router.

4. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi T-force,

a mate of mine has a Dlink DSL-604 router, he had the same problem the fix was one of two things or both:

1 firmware upgrade the router. Factory reset requiired. firmware available on dlinks website.

2 Our ADSL supplier KCOM upgraded there network and the router hadn't dropped out. My BT 2wire has never had a problem

Jon

5. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Firmware seems to be the most up to date one I can find. D-Link's main website doesn't have anything, and their ftp site just has the one that's already on my router.

6. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +684
    Have you tried the SP2 TCP/IP fix, available here? SP2 limits failed connections, which happen all the time on P2P networks, so your connection will stop responding after a time, but this should fix it. :)

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Well, used the fix, and BitComet has been running for over 4 hours without a stop, which must be a record. Thanks very much broona. I'll be back if there's any further hitch. :)

8. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +684
    :smashin:

9. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Darn. The problem is still there. Anyone else got any ideas as to what I should do to stop this blasted problem?

10. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +684
    Have you tried using a different client since applying the fix? I use Azureus on XP Professional with SP2, TCP/IP fix applied, I've left it running for 5 days solid without any problems, may be worth a try.
    Also, check your port forwarding in the router configuration, make sure you've got the required ports set, 6881 and 6969 for Azureus.

11. darenc1967

darenc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your using wireless networking, MS updated the Wireless configuration service. This seem to confict with vendor wirless drivers which in turn bounces your wireless conection every few minutes.

Try removing the vendor drivers and only use XP SP2's drivers or disable the Wireless configuration service.