Bitterly disapointed... - Philips 32PFL5522D/05

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by sparky46, Sep 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sparky46

sparky46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well folks...

I guess this is going to get a mixed response, especially from the anti-Philips quarter, but here goes...

My old faithful Philips 32" Widescreen telly (had it for seven years) finally expired when one of the kids put a drink on top of the set and the inevitable happened (beyond economic repair yada yada...). I say old faithful because this set was a 100Hz model (forget the model number) and gave a lovely picture via RGB from my Sky box and DVD player... So, being loyal to Philips, I went out and bought the Philips 32PFL5522D/05. It ticked all the right boxes (for both me and the 'missus') - I had a demo, and was told: "Sorry mate, the signal is crap here..." (after I questioned the poor picture quality). I also had a demo from a HD source and was bowled over by the quality of the pictures. Anyway, a few days later, I bought the telly via Comet's 'Click and Collect' and saved £100 (paid £499) and collected the set.

After living with it for a few days, and initially being impressed (new toy etc.) over the last two weeks, I've become more and more disappointed, to the point where I now don't watch the TV programme, I just look for all the horrible artifacts in the picture (driving my 'other half' mad in the process) - BTW, I have an excellent signal in my area -

On setup, I tried both the built-in analogue and freeview tuners in the set - result: crap, 'blocky' pictures; I plugged my sky box in via the scart (using RGB) - still crap, blocky vid quality. From a distance, the picture looks OK, but close up, it's terrible; a bit like looking at your average 'Youtube vid' blown up full screen (well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get what I mean...)

The only decent picture I get is from my sons X-box 360 via an adapter, but that's hardly the reason I bought the telly! So, questions to those more experienced than me: :lease:

1) Is this problem solely with the Philips, or is this an endemic problem with all HD LCD's that have to upscale a 'normal' def vid source?

2) Do I have to put up with this until HD is more widely available? I refuse to pay Sky more wonga for the scant HD content they offer at the moment (PS - I'm not a sports fan)

3) Would it be worth me investing in a DVD player that can upscale normal DVD discs, and then hooking this up to my telly via the HDMI input?

4) Comet have said they will not give me a refund on the telly because there is nothing wrong with it. However, is this academic anyway, would all HD LCD's look crap on normal def sources?

I'm really disappointed, as you have all probably gathered, and I just wish I could go out and buy a good old-fashioned 32" CRT set... :(

Any advise gratefully received, optimistic or pessimistic... :smashin:

2. honkydonky

honkydonky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes SD material does look like this due to upscaling, some TV's do it better than others.The other big thing is screen size to viewing distance ratio, as you say up close is terrible further away is ok, so you need the the TV to look "ok" when you are at your normal viewing distance (about 7-9ft) with a 32".Don't analyse it up close too much thats not where you view it from.

Watch some Hd material to restore your faith, upscaled DVD's via my PS3 look stunning as do hi def games and blu-ray

Have you tweaked the settings turn all the AI and sharpness right down usually helps
    :thumbsup:

3. Zebsy

Zebsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  4. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The set shouldn't be blocky on SD... I am very impressed for instance with my LG 27" playing DVDs thru my PS2... and that's a cheap set. The SD on it is as good as I've ever seen on a CRT. Have you tried some DVDs through a decent cable? Freeview can be hit and miss for signal quality I've heard.

PS: He never would have been able to return under Distance Selling Regulations even within 7 days as he used the click and collect service, so he collected it from store even though he paid for it online there must be no face-to-face contact during the purchase at all for the DSRs to apply.

5. Blackmage

Blackmage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i've got this set i will take some pics of SD and upload it for you!

6. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hmm how close are you getting?? The tech with CRT was much more forgiving, but the TV's were the size of a fridge.

All the philips sets I've seen look lovely, though all sets will look shonky with low-bit rate channels like The History Channel. Footy can look poor on digital sets too - lots of moving bits, grass looking like a bad computer game.. that kinda thing.

But good shows look awesome, and a upscaling DVD player or one that will play a normal DVD in progressive over component or HDMI will look incredible.

But with all these TV's, plasma or LCD, the right viewing distance is crucial. :thumbsup:

7. Blackmage

Blackmage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Here some pictures taken real close. if yours doesn't look like this then i would return as damaged

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gypsybuilder

gypsybuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think your TV is normal. I have the 26 Pf5321 lcd (replacement for my broken crt) and the picture on even the best freeview channels is poor. Try squinting!!! My ps3 looks decent though except for the judder :( I'm saving up for a Pioneer plasma.....

9. sparky46

sparky46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone...

Yeah, I agree that viewing from the right distance (I sit about 9feet away) is fine... it's just I was sitting very close to the set one day and noticed how crap the picture was up close compared with my old 32" CRT set - and because of seeing this imperfection, I'm now drawn to the limitations of SD on an HD set dammit!

I haven't got any HD sources yet, but will probably invest in a new DVD player that can upscale my old collection of SD DVD's, and plug the DVD to the Philips via HDMI...

I'll try not to look too closely from now on... :smashin:

10. Blackmage

Blackmage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep that's the trick. I say play around with the settings until you find something you like sit back and enjoy.

11. hodchoc

hodchoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've cannot access the digital menu on this TV set. I auto-scanned the channels and although it has picked up all 4 (we only get 4!!!) analogue channels it doesn't seem to have stored any digital ones. I've got a Humax PVR in the front room and my daughter has a Panasonic freeview box upstairs and both pick up "most" digitial channels. When I use the A/D button on the remote a blue screen comes up with digital in the top left hand corner - but pressing the digital menu button on the remote does nothing (although the light blinks on the set)! - any ideas what's wrong??

12. jackkoumi

jackkoumi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem. I know I did not set up the TV correctly. Did you resolve the problem?

13. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Reduce the sharpness setting to zero and make sure noise reduction is turned off, if you haven't already.

I actually tend to find that Philips are one of the better brands for making a good fist of digital TV broadcasts, which tend to look pretty poor no matter what you're watching on, including my Sony CRT to be honest.

14. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    If I can make a recommendation get a Sony HXD770 or870 or 790 or 890. These are hard disc DVDR's with a Freeview tuner with HDMI out. The point is that this can be used not only as a hard disc recorder and upscaling DVD player but also as your freeview tuner. These units are actually made for Sony by Pioneer and use an upscaler deigned by Pioneer. Consequently Freeview watched directly or recorded on one of these is excellent and as is DVD replay. I have one of these as do several of my friends and relatives and IMHO for freeview they cannot be beaten. The only SD I have seen that is better is on cable using a Scientific Atlanta VM+ box via HDMI which is what I use mainly.

15. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    THe Sony HXD 890 HDD DVDR is on offer today at Empire Direct at £159.99 - a fantastic deal!

16. sparky46

sparky46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've played with settings, and I am more content with the set now!

17. sparky46

sparky46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and...

Yep - me too, but I just didn't bother reporting the problem here, as I've said enough on this dam TV already! :rolleyes:

What I find is if I remove the power for a few minutes (in other words, fully unplug from the mains, not just switching to standby), it often resolves the problem. Do you guys get another problem too; that is, when your Digital telly option 'bluescreens' on you, the auto scart switching/sensing also fails at the same time? The two problems may be related and leads me to believe there is a software and/or firmware bug.

Finally, and this may sound silly, do LCD's screen have a run-in period? - may be I've just learned to live with this set sand got used to it, but I'm convinced the picture is now better than when I first bought the set... Or is it time to visit the opticians? ;)