bitstream/pcm blueray problem

dan8204

Hi all I own a samsung q700a 3.1.2 soundbar connected to my sony xh90 through earc, ps5 is in hdmi port 4, passthrough is enabled and all are set to enhanced,

When playing a blueray that supports dtsx, when set to bitstream it shows as just (dts) in the info, when I switch it to lpcm is will show as (dts hd ma), same goes for (dts hd ma) as it will just show as dts on bitsteam, why is this?

If I plug ps5 directly into soundbar and select bitstream it works showing the correct format, am I supposed to be using lpcm? I though it was supposed to be bitsteam for bluerays.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The PS5 supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio output formats, but this support is only for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray film discs.

While actually playing a film disc, press the PS5's OPTIONS button to launch a menu that lists options settings that can be set for the playback of Blu-ray and or UHD discs.

The OPTIONS button is the small button to the right of the touch pad with three horizontal lines above it, this is the same as the Options button on the old PS4.

by default 2022-01-28 at 18.18.39.png

Within the OPTIONS menu, navigate and select the "three dots":

by default 2022-01-28 at 18.19.37.png

From the options that then appear, select SETTINGS:

by default 2022-01-28 at 18.21.31.png

Now you want to select AUDIO FORMAT from the next set of options
and change this to BITSTREAM:

by default 2022-01-28 at 18.27.50.png

by default 2022-01-28 at 18.30.16.png

The PS5 should now bitstream the audio in association with Blu-ray and or UHD discs regardless of the audio settings you set in the main PS5 configurations menu. THis works for both DTS:X and Atmos as well as in association with DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. You can also leave the main setting in the configurations set to Linear PCM for game audio output.

The PS5 cannot access or output Atmos or DTS:X audio in association with games or if using the apps associated with streaming services.

Last edited:

dan8204

The PS5 supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio output formats, but this support is only for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray film discs.

While actually playing a film disc, press the PS5's OPTIONS button to launch a menu that lists options settings that can be set for the playback of Blu-ray and or UHD discs.

The OPTIONS button is the small button to the right of the touch pad with three horizontal lines above it, this is the same as the Options button on the old PS4.

View attachment 1644835

Within the OPTIONS menu, navigate and select the "three dots":

View attachment 1644839

From the options that then appear, select SETTINGS:

View attachment 1644840

Now you want to select AUDIO FORMAT from the next set of options
and change this to BITSTREAM:

View attachment 1644844

View attachment 1644846

The PS5 should now bitstream the audio in association with Blu-ray and or UHD discs regardless of the audio settings you set in the main PS5 configurations menu. THis works for both DTS:X and Atmos as well as in association with DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. You can also leave the main setting in the configurations set to Linear PCM for game audio output.

The PS5 cannot access or output Atmos or DTS:X audio in association with games or if using the apps associated with streaming services.
Yeah I did that already, it turns out there is an actual problem with the 2021 samsung soundbars and sony tv's with earc passthrough when playing dts hd ma or dts/x content, atmos content works as it should, hope sony or samsung sort the problem out.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I should of added that if what I explained doesn't result in you getting DTS:X then the issue isn't one with the console. It must be as you've indicated and an issue with the TV or the soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom