bitstream or linear pcm?

skywalker738

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry for asking what is probably an obvious question to many on here but...i have my ps3 connected to my denon amp via optical cable, should the output be set to bitstreat or linear? i think its currently bitstream.

thanks guys.

Not entirely......

Bitstream will enable you to hear the 'standard' DD or DTS tracks via Blu Ray. You may be able to use linear PCM if your amp can decode the uncompressed PCM format.

I tried it and my amp defaulted to Dolby PLII, so I guess my amp doesn't do it...

On another note if your amp accepts both then which is best ??

My amp show's PCM 48:smashin:

In theory the PCM format should be better providing of course it is a multichannel signal you've got.

You don't you compare and let us know your decision?

BTW which amp is it?

Use bitstream for ordinary dvd , and PCM for Bluray , if it has pcm of course.
No advantage to using pcm on ordinary dvd with DD/DTS/stereo

Not entirely......

Bitstream will enable you to hear the 'standard' DD or DTS tracks via Blu Ray. You may be able to use linear PCM if your amp can decode the uncompressed PCM format.

I tried it and my amp defaulted to Dolby PLII, so I guess my amp doesn't do it...

Only will get 2 channel PCM via optical though...

On another note if your amp accepts both then which is best ??

My amp show's PCM 48:smashin:

So does mine via optical, but it does not show LFE, hence it means 2 channel PCM converted to Pro Logic 2...

Not entirely......

Bugger, I have just seen what receiver you have in your sig, and I was looking to buy that one too, as I assumed due to its specs, it would give uncompressed to 7.1. I guess the HDMI function on it is just for switching purposes rather than full throughput then...:(

Bitstream will produce the best sound, but very few if any amps currently support the hd audio files via bitstream. Therefore if your amp supports 5.1 lpcm then use that method.

Basically if you use lpcm the ps3 is dividing the bitstream (the original source as it is stored on the disc) into 5 channels and then decoding the dd (or dts) track and encoding it as 5 lpcm.

I don't believe (although i could be wrong) that optical has the bandwidth to carry a 5 channel lpcm score. Either way the studios don't allow it to be sent over optical and therefore the only way to get a amp to reconise it is via hdmi.

I hope this helps
Steve.

i've been testing the sound through my sony 7100es and ps3 via hdmi for uncompressed 5.1 pcm sound and switching between optical bitstream. imho i found the sound via optical more punchier and dynamic . does anyone think the same?

p.s. bitstream as the name suggest is a bit perfect pass of the original soundtrack as stored on the media. Any other method of passing data requires the audio to be initially decoded from the mpeg original and then recoded into something else, i.e. lpcm.

If you amp can't decode the bitstream then it needs decoding anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom