• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bitreaming DTS Master on a Philips BDP 2700 Blu Ray Player

Capt Pete

Standard Member
Hi There Everyone,

Im in need of help and advice please.
I recenlty bought a Philips BDP 2700 player that I have succesfully got to transmit the Dobly True HD signal via bitstream to my Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver but I can't seem to get it to send the DTS Master signal via bitstream, any help would be appreciated.
I know the amp can decode DTS Master and is I think HDMI 1.3b compliant.
I bought some HDMI 1.4 cables today to be safe and will try them out tonight.
Am I right in thinking that although the Philips Player doesn't have an on board DTS Master Decoder that it should still be able to send it to my amp to decode via bitstream??
Also a bit confused on what DTS 2.0+ plus is all about, no real explanation on DTS web site, its all very sketchy.
Anyway any help would be massively appreciated.
If the player can't bitstream DTS Master I will be taking it back.

Thanks Again,

Peter. :thumbsup:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Am I right in thinking that although the Philips Player doesn't have an on board DTS Master Decoder that it should still be able to send it to my amp to decode via bitstream??

Maybe, but not necessarily the case. There have been players before that will decode all formats, send Dolby as bitstream but not DTS-HD MA. So it's very possible this is the case with the Philips. But I can't say for sure myself.

Capt Pete

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, Im off home soon to try out my new 1.4 hdmi cable to see if this helps.
Just in case anyone is whondering I am testing on DTS Master Blu Ray disks and the player says on the OSD that it is sending DTS Master 5.1.

Thanks Again.

Capt Pete

Standard Member
Hi everyone, raced home and Hdmi 1.4 cable hasn't helped. :-(
Amp picks up DTS Hdmi direct but doesnt display DTS Hdmi Master.
One last attempt, going to rent Toy Story 3 blu ray that I hear is a top Dollar 7.1 DTS Master disk, if that dont work nothing will.
Testing 2012 DTS Master disk at the moment.
Cie la vie. :)

Capt Pete

Standard Member
The crazy thing is that I have a PS3 Fat that can decode all formats but I have to send the signal to the amp after the PS3 has decoded. I want my amp to do the decoding and use a less power hungry blu ray player than the fat PS3 for the more Eco friendly blu ray only player that can bitstream to my amp.
I'm not interested in internal decoding of the player.

Capt Pete

Standard Member
Because I want to put the amp to work, otherwise it was pointless me buying an amp with this onboard decoding (I could have got a 7.1 amp with 7.1 analog coax inputs from the blu ray player at a quarter of the price).
I also don't want to use the old PS3 as it uses about 300watts+ apprx and a normal blu ray uses less than 20watts approximately (including the Philips)..

Last edited:

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
so you bought an amp at 4x the price to do decoding that you didn't need? I am confused here. Nothing wrong with the 606, nice bit of good value kit easily justified, but I wouldn't get to worried where the decoding gets done at this level, it makes little difference. Personally I would do it in the receiver for sheer convenience given a choice but that relies on players being able to bitstream correctly and the Onkyo have upto date firmware. If I didn't have that option I wouldn't loose any sleep over it or get firmware looked at. The receiver is much more than just decoding.

Capt Pete

Standard Member
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm no expert and there is a small part of me that thinks that the amp will handle everything better. I know it's not just about the decoding and there is much more to an amp than that.
I bought this amp so that I could get the full bandwidth detail that DTS Master can deliver and hoped that this would translate into an improvement in sound.
I presume some of that detail is lost if the conversion is done in the player.
Either way I want to use a dedicated Blu Ray player rather than the PS3 for various other reasons.
My main question is can the very basic Philips Blu Ray player send bitreamed DTS Master to my amp to convert??
And what the he'll is DTS 2.0+ that is on the player?
Thanks again, sorry if I sounded like I thought I knew it all. I am the first to admit that I don't.
Thanks for the reply, looks like the Philips is going back and I am going to have to invest a bit more on the player.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
my Philips has 'issues' which is why I don't recommend them (other recommend then on price alone even before they have played a Blu ray!!) but to be fair I think the issue isn't just a Philips one but also an Onkyo one. I would check on the Onkyo forum and buy a replacement player you know will work with your 606. I would start with the Sony 370 (but check compatibility), a far nicer player....but just a little bit more money. Decoding in player or receiver is essentially similar BUT THAT IS NOT THE WHOLE STORY re performance. It is however not a decoding issue but interface designs. Many are obsessed by seeing a DTS HD MA logo lit. I turn my light off for better performance ;) Your PS3 can sound amazing in the right system but if you are worried about heat and noise I can understand why you want to change.

Taking the Philips back is a good start...:)

Capt Pete

Standard Member
You are a star, I thought it might turn out that the Philips wasnt up to my requirements, I'm pleased you have been able to confirm that.
Shame though as the Philips was an real steal at the price it went for, clearly the reason why it doesn't cut the mustard.
Going to return the Philips and either invest in a better player or stick with the PS3 for now.
Thanks again, only joined this site today and loving it allready.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom