1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bitrates

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sjp1966, Sep 14, 2004.

1. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Some reviews have bitrate information such as below

Av. Bitrate: 6.19 Mb/s
    Max. Bitrate: ~ 9 Mb/s
    Min. Bitrate: ~ 4.5 Mb/s.

how do they get this information, i know you can display bitrate on the OSD of most DVD players, but does it (the DVD Player) actually tell you the min, max and average or do you need to do something else?

And does the level of bitrate have a direct relation to the quality of the picture?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think it does affect the picture. The higer the bit rate, the better the picture.

This is one of the reasons why the newer formats such as blu-ray offer much higher bit rates than standard DVD.
    (dont quote me but it could be as high as 20mbps or even higher for a blu-ray based movie)

This should also mean that a film on blu-ray will look even better than a superbit DVD.
    (The reason why they are labled superbit is coz the bit rate is as high as possible with DVD)

3. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ok, but what about the Min, Max and Average bitrates such as the ones i listed, how can i get that information from my DVDs

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Again im not exactly sure but as the movie plays, the bit rate or data stream varies from scene to scene.
    your DVD player has that option you mentioned? If you turn it on it will show you as the film plays

5. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    has anyone else got an opinion on this, i would really appreciate a definitive answer :lease:

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bitrate doesnt necessary mean a better picture, if the master used for the transfer is bad then no matter how high the bitrate reads it will still look poor and then you have to take other factors into account such as edge enhancement and soundtrack issues.

The new high definition formats aren't just about bitrate as they are using a new improved laser ( blue laser as opposed to the current formats red laser ) which means even finer data pits in the DVD which means more data can be stored which means they can deliver high definition DVD.

Finally don't believe everything you read as Superbit is a Columbia pictures marketing term which allows them to double and triple dip their releases meaning the poor consumer has to fork out loads of cash for titles they already own if they want the best possible version, some studios release great looking titles without forcing us all to double dip ( recent New Line and Twentieth Century Fox releases come to mind ) also be aware that sometimes the Superbit isn't an improvement ( see Leon ) sometimes all the space on the disc isn't used ( see Charlies Angels which has almost 3 gigabytes of unused space ) and also bear in mind Columbia stated no extras just pure picture and sound ( then why has the american edition of Spiderman got a commentary track and if they can do it with that film why not all films ) don't even get me started on full bitrate DTS which should be standard for all Superbit releases but isn't and for those who claim they can't do it without affecting picture quality i refer you to Blade ( Japanese Edition ) and The Passion Of The Christ ( UK and Canadian editions )

7. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In which case foxy, what do higher bitrate number indicate, wen i turn on the OSD on my DVD player, does the bitrate take into consideration audio and well as visual, or is the number shown the indicative of just one of these.

I read on these forums a lot that the Jap disks always seem to have top notch quality in terms of pictures and sound. the studios obviously create those top notch disks for that market, surely it must just as easy to develop top notch for our market too?

Also i am at work at the moment so i cannot check my DVD, but as i said in the first post of this thread, i read a review which outlined the minimum bitrate, the maximum and the average bitrate, is this all information that the DVD players OSD provides, or do you need some special tool/add-on/software to gain this information

8. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I believe the Average bitrate and total used is retreived using software on the reviewers PC. The max and min, as they are approx. numbers are probably got by just watching the meter on the OSD at specific busy and quiet moments.

I believe the bitrate shown is indicative of the entire stream playing so includes all video options, all sound options and all subtitle options.

As Foxy says, just throwing lots of bits at a picture doesn't make it any better, it has more to do with how the disc is mastered/encoded and the quality of the original. (although he backtracks by demanding a full bitrate dts track (?))

9. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dan, your comments certainly make sense. and it also highlights that people should not demand bigger bitrates (except maybe when talking about Full Bitrate DTS), but people should demand DVDs created from better masters.

after all the markup on a dvd disk is incredible.

on another note, with regards the Min, Max and average bitrate, if it is software, i invite any reviewer that uses this method to let me know if that is indeed how they get that information, or if not, how

10. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    talking off soundtrack bitrates is there a site which can let you know if DD and DTS soundtracks are full bitrate or not on the various regions?

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent cheers for that

13. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, I use Bit Rate Viewer from Visual Domain (AKA Erwin van den Berg). It's a small, free programme that produces a graphical, linear (time-based) representation of a disc's total bitrate and the average bitrate of each title it contains. It can be downloaded from http://www.visualdomain.net/

Adam

14. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    cheers adam, ill have a download and take a look