1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitrates in Studio 8

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mab25, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What is the best bitrate to use when creating a DVD in Pinnacle studio 8. The maximum bitrate seems to be 8000kbps but is the quality noticably better than using a 6000kbps bitrate for example.

I think SVCD's are created with a 2500kbps bitrate (well below 8000) but the quality is not that far away from DVD.

I want to establish the best bitrate to use, where any increase in this bitrate would give only negligable quality improvements but would increase rendering time and space taken on a DVD.

The camera I am using is a Sony Digital 8 (if that makes any difference)

Advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    M.

2. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    With Bitrates it all depends on the footage. DVDs have variable bitrates the same as SVCDs. So in fast moving action sequences to give a good picture the bitrate will change to a higher bitrate, and once the action stops the bitrate will lower. If you have a DVD player on the PC and PowerDVD. If you select "show information" you get the bitrate, will probably be in other software as well but only use PowerDVD so only know its on there.

The best way to encode footage would be to use a variable bit rate at say 2 pass. This would mean that the program will analyse the video and then encode it to the best rate it can with the bitrates you set.

Try out a few different settings, by converting a 2 minute section. See which encoding method is the best. Variable bit rate takes alot longer than a constant bitrate, but should give a better result in the end.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0