Bitrate Setting In TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jerrysimon, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Been using this excellent product and Rasczak's tutorial :thumbsup:

It's so simple to use, I have personal backgrounds and animated menus/clips all now working :clap:

Should I just burn the DVD default or is there also a bitrate setting in the program ? This is one of my family VHS videos that I capured to the my Tosh XS32 at a higher rate setting as recommended to ensure better copying.

Also what does full resolution mean and is there another setting I should have changed on my Tosh for this ?

Regards

Jerry

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I'm glad it's being useful!

TMPG Encoder Author does not re-encode your programmes. The process described in the Guide is to use an appropriate bitrate on your DVD recorder so that the end product fits on a DVD-R disk.

However if you do want to re-encode then there are plenty of applications that will do it for you. The best of the budget bunch is probably TMPG Encoder 3 Xpress (available from http://www.tmpgenc.com/ ).

No - the process is entirely automatic. Basically the recording setting you choose on your Toshiba determines the bitrate and resolution of your recording. Recording times (approximately) over 2 hours 20 minutes will be in half resolution (352 x 576/288), recordings under that time will be full resolution (720/704 x 576).

3. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks as always Rasczak for your prompt replies.

So these final files output from Author are at a lower (normal SP) bitrate ?

Sorry it gets confusing ?

Regards

Jerry

4. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Oh dear sorry now I have another question ?

Once created and played on my PC everything looks great.

However when I burn to a DVD and play it on my tosh/telly it cuts off about 1" of the right hand side of the picture (just the menus) :confused:

This occurs whether I play it in 4:3 or 16:9/wide screen.

Regards

Jeremy

5. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

You say that when you play the disc back on your tv, that the menus are cut off by 1"?

When you create your own background and buttons etc, it is advisable to click on the options tab in the top right hand corner. In this menu, you will see "TV Safe Area ". Click this, and you will see an outline box appear on your created background. Anything that is outside of this box will not appear, or only partly appear on your tv screen. I made this mistake a couple of times, now I always use the safe area tab.

Cheers

Sip

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The end project will be exactly the same bitrate/resolution as when you imported the video into TMPG Enc Author - the only difference is TMPG Enc Author changes into DVD-Video format and adds your menus. No changes occur to the bitrate or resolution unless you use a seperate encoding programme (such as TMPG Enc 3XPress).

As SIP says this is entirely normal and to avoid it use the TV Safe box. Personally I created a graphics file (with the TV safe area marked) to use as a template when I'm designing menus in Paint Shop Pro.

On some channels, such as UK Gold, you may also notice 'rough edges' to some of the programmes. Again this is normal and will not display on your TV (whatever type it may be).

7. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks to you both. I found that option about 10 mins later :)

Regards

Jerry