Bitrate and new boxes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by RJW2, Sep 4, 2004.

1. RJW2

RJW2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, 3 related questions and any help is much appreciated:

I am thinking of getting back into the Plasma market after a disapointing first step early last year. I now have Telewest and most of my viewing is via the STB as opposed to DVD and the signal on my 28" CRT is pretty good.

However, there are lots of discussions about needing a good bit rate (as well as many other factors) in order to get decent viewing of Sky/Cable pictures. So my 3 questions are;

1) Can you measure the bitrate coming through your STB?

2) If so what would be considered 'good'?

3) Although Telewest now officially only supply one box, can you use any other STBs at all to view the telewest signal?

Cheers for any help!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    1) Someone with good technical knowledge and very handy with a soldering iron MAY be able to jerry-rig a system and even then encryption might make that more difficult compared to FTA channels.
    2) Bitrate is too subjective. A studio program can get away with a lower bitrate than a sports program. Pre-recorded material may also benefit from a higher level of encoding compared to live programming although technology has moved on a bit and the difference might be marginal.
    Consider a well mastered/encoded DVD to be the benchmark for mpegII compression.
    3) I very much doubt it. The STB's are tied into their network and probably have unique ID's and using their own encryption/security. They may be a few clear analogue channels that could be picked up with a suitable tuner if they are present along wide the digital feeds.