Bit Rate indicator for HD Box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Thxfan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Thxfan

Thxfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having read a lot of threads relating to the possible bit rate of HD transmissions, and the suspicion;) from a lot of forum members about the reducing quality of existing Sky broadcasts. (I'm talking signal quality by the way, programme quality is a whole other area:) ). Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a bit rate indicator on the HD Box, something like you get on DVD players? Then at least we would know what rate Sky HD is sending out from the start, and be able to tell more easily if Sky start to lower the quality as time goes on.

2. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    ha ha, you think sky would want to make it that obvious? ... i think not
    without proof, sky can deny everything :lesson: ... which they will undoubtably do :p

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Exactly, they would really shhot themselves in the foot with this wouldn't they. Imagine the number of calls on a daily basis from irate customers complaning that theire bitrate has dropped a few points. Besides, is it Sky who control the bitrate at which a signal is broadcast or the broadcasters themselves.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Bitrate indication is always interesting to watch but can only be used for a guide, the nature of compression is such that the numbers move to fast in response to the demands of the video you don't get any accurate info.
    Easier to see how much data is used for the whole program and then work out an average making allowances for the content and resolution of the program.

SKY control their own channels and every other broadcaster (BBC, ITV, Scifi, Hallmark etc ) using Dsat buys the transponder capacity from SES or Eutelsat and then decide how to use it.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My old Pannie E50 DVD recorder used to have a bitrate indicator, but the E95 that I replaced it with hasn't (unless it's hidden somewhere). That gave quite a good indication of what the different channels were putting out.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I don't see how it would - all it would do is give an indication of how many bits per second would be needed to make a recording at your current quality level (XP, SP, LP etc).

This would be more related to the amount of movement/change onscreen than anything else. The recorder can't know whether or not the analogue signal it's (re)compressing came from a digital source or not, let alone what sort of bitrate was being used.

If anything, a low bitrate at the source would create an analogue picture with higher levels of artifacting and other 'noise' which would require _more_ bits to accurately compress, not less.

Gav

7. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Agreed. It would be even easier if the Planner actually displayed the average bitrate for the whole programme to save us having to work it out! Displaying an ever changing actual bitrate on the box itself wouldn't be that useful.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yep:)

I would settle for an accurate disk useage figure, I really like they way my 9200 gives me a figure to the megabyte. Very illuminating when comparing the same program broadcast on two channels:)