Bit of advice please

S

StJonno

Ok, ive decided more or less to build a HCPC, now im guessing these are the components i need

DVD drive
Graphics card
Sound card with digital out

I have an old PC which im thinking of upgrading (purely as a HCPC), it's a celeron 400 (ish!) with 128 meg of RAM. Now here are the questions

does the processor really affect how well the dvd is displayed, asuming the graphics card is up to the job?

what software is recommended? (i have a proV and a ptae100)

radeon cards seem to be the video card of choice, what about sound cards?

Approx how much should this upgrade cost?

I know some of this is a bit vague, but any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ok, ive decided more or less to build a HCPC, now im guessing these are the components i need

DVD drive

The liteon one from ebuyer is popular and easily firmware upgarded.

Graphics card

Radeon ones, from the 7200 and newer £59ish

Sound card with digital out

Soundblaster live 5.1 for a cheap option up to a card offering 2496 processing for the higher end.

does the processor really affect how well the dvd is displayed, asuming the graphics card is up to the job?

Yes too a point, a C400 wont cut it especially with only 128 mb of ram, you really need to move upto about a 800 of faster for dvd playback with 256mb of ram.

If you intend to run dscaler you will also need a capture card such as the Pinnacle Rave and probably a bit more proicessing power still.

You need to be a bit more specific about what level you are trying to acheive and then so can I. I tried my AE100 with my radeon based PC the other day in comparison to the proV and it really is as much improvement again as without the proV, if not more, better black levels and like focusing the projector.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom