Question Bit of advice on moving to just a Macbook Pro

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably know the answer but trying to convince myself this is the right move.
I have the latest iPad Pro for sketching, browsing, Procreate etc. which scratches my Apple itch but I dabble regularly in Logic Pro X so I bought the last Mac Mini (2014 but bought early 2018, i5, 8Gb and 512gb SSD) which runs Logic just fine. For Windows duties I have a Dell XPS upgraded to 32gb and its a lovely machine. Both of these (and the iPad) run into a Samsung 2K 27" Monitor via USB-C so its a nice adaptable little set up. The Mac Mini even boots Windows 10 externally from a Samsung T5 as a back up for when the XPS is not about.

So, I am moving to Thailand next month for a few years teaching and arranged to ship the monitor, Mac etc, and take the XPS with me but my pragmatic head tells me to ditch it all, get a MBP and run it all from that for convenience. Might be an easy decision if it weren't £2188 (and that's educational rate) for the spec I want/need and that's only 512gb.
A guy fairly local to me wants £1600 for a 2017 15" MBP with i7, 16gb 560X and 1TB SSD. I know its a lot less than it would have cost new but I'm struggling to justify that sort of money for a 2 year old used machine.
I know its long winded question but I only have 3 weeks to get set up before I ship out and no one around here who could give decent advice. I could just stick with what I have and pay the extra shipping but I wouldn't mind travelling light (but preferably not in the wallet department).
Any thoughts or advice here? I imagine selling the rig I have will only net around £1200 on a good day...

I think it makes sense to sell what you have for one better more powerful machine, but that used mac doesn't sound like it will be.

Cheers, i took the plunge but got a 2018 6 core with warranty remaining and, so far, its pretty nippy in Mac OSX Windows

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom