• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bit of advice needed on pc build to play games

orangebox

Established Member
I'm looking to build a pc to play games like skyrim, fallout 3/NV.

I'd like it to have decent graphics and be able to play the latest games well.

I have put together a parts list in ebuyer, but to be fair I'm not sure if this is the best bang for my buck.

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here before clicking the pay now button.

screen shot of my basket attached.

any advice welcome. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pcparts.jpg
    pcparts.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 91

Dan360

Established Member
I'm looking to build a pc to play games like skyrim, fallout 3/NV.

I'd like it to have decent graphics and be able to play the latest games well.

I have put together a parts list in ebuyer, but to be fair I'm not sure if this is the best bang for my buck.

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here before clicking the pay now button.

screen shot of my basket attached.

any advice welcome. thanks in advance.

Hello,

Take a look here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-g...best-builds-most-common-low-price-points.html

I'm not the best a pricing up rigs but I cant imagine any case + psu for £50 is going to be worth it, always a good idea to buy the best psu you can. Spending another £50 would net you a much better combo, try looking at some Corsair or xfx power supplies.

Also worth getting an aftermarket cpu cooler for better temps/quieter cooling such as this:

Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Socket 1155, 1156, 2011.. | Ebuyer.com

Other than that it doesn't look too bad :smashin:, I would guess you could play the games you listed on at least high but don't expect to be installing too many graphics mods on them as the 660ti will soon start to struggle.

Last edited:

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
If you're looking to spend £235 on a graphics card then consider the AMD Radeon HD 7950 as an alternative. It's the better performer of the two and gives you 3gb of video RAM - the card to buy in that price range.

Obviously this assumes you have no preference for Nvidia, otherwise ignore me!

richardb70

Distinguished Member
If you happen to have £40 - £60 spare, I'd also add an SSD too (128Gb or less). Figure you'll wind up with one as your boot drive eventually, and it's a bit of a faff to add one in down the line once you've got Windows and everything installed on the HDD.

Also Skyrim plays nicer with one...!

VRAM: if you can, get more than 2Gb if you intend on modding Skyrim.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I've modded the hell out of Skyrim with a 2gb card and it plays perfectly fine.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
I've modded the hell out of Skyrim with a 2gb card and it plays perfectly fine.

Ditto, and I have a 1Gb card (although I've had to be careful)!

I've lurked on the official mod forums and apparently if you use a lot of HD textures and ENBs, then your VRAM usage will pass the 2Gb barrier fairly quickly.

ohh_danielson

Distinguished Member
Yeah I'd recommend the 7950, can sometimes pick a decent deal up for about £210-£215 ish, also it includes a couple of new games etc., and it's performance for the price is very impressive :)

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
If you decide not to build, but prefer to spec a machine i can strongly recommend Chillblast. I chose them last year as they had won loads of awards and got great feedback, and i'm glad i did. Service has been top notch.

They have loads of different base models for different needs, Gaming, Media, Office, All rounder etc, and all can be tweaked in every aspect.

May be worth a look, even if just for some ideas....

Chillblast - The UK's most awarded Custom PC builder - Cheap PCs - Gaming PCs - Workstations

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
richardb70 said:
Ditto, and I have a 1Gb card (although I've had to be careful)!

I've lurked on the official mod forums and apparently if you use a lot of HD textures and ENBs, then your VRAM usage will pass the 2Gb barrier fairly quickly.

I've got a lot of that and it still plays fine mate. I think the game just makes the best of what you have tbh.

2gb is perfectly fine IMO

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom