• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Bit of advice for a beginner..

Kendo76

Hi guys and gals

I'm new to this so please be gentle..

I've just taken delivery of a new Samsung LE32M61 telly and am disappointed with the sound coming out, it's no better than my 15 year old regular telly that it replaced. Picture is awesome though. I'm looking to start my home cinema sound setup (just have to clear it with the mrs, who won't be happy!)

I've read a few threads on here and am looking at buying the Denon AVR-1906 receiver from Empire Direct before the sale finishes, it looks great for the money and I'm not looking to spend too much.

My questions are.. Can I get the receiver and just have front left and right speakers to start with and then add centre + sub later on in the year, then even later put some rears on as well?

I can't afford the whole shebang so will be building it up over time. Will the receiver be ok with just the front speakers or is this a waste?

And lastly what do you think of the Denon 1906? I'm looking to spend around £200 - £300 and it's mainly for tv and movies. Lounge is 14' x 11' and looking to get bookshelf type speakers to sit on the floor, not too imposing looking.

I'd be grateful for any advice, I know you must be bored of beginners asking, but thanks in advance! :)

BenW

The problem with putting bookshelves on the floor is they're at the wrong height! Idealy you would have the tweeters at ear level. For this reason you should get some cheap stands to put them on.

clarky78

Yes you can add to it as you go. The reciever will probably have a 'Phantom' option to imitate the missing centre channel till you get one.

You can the add whatever you chose ass you go, but as mentioned it really isn't a good idea putting bookshelf speakers on the floor at all. They will sound terrible.

Either get floorstanders, or if size is an issue get some satellites with lifestyle type stands.

I think in the price that is a good option for you, or you could look at the Yamaha AV57 package comprising of amp and speakers and sub for about £200.

Kendo76

Thanks for the replys, shows how much I know! I thought they were called bookshelf speakers because they're small :rolleyes: :)

I'll go with the floorstanding option I think. My budget of £200 - £300 is just for the receiver. Don't want to spend any less as I want a decent quality setup.

I'm going to have to get the receiver straight away, the Empire Direct price is loads cheaper than anywhere else. Might have to wait a few weeks till my birthday then get some speakers.

Anyone know when the empire direct sale ends? And how can I get a receiver and speakers into the lounge without the mrs noticing! :D

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
cant help on the empire direct sale ending bit, but for sneaking past the missus some new equipment, try and arrange for some not so great news (ie not bad news, but something you might need to apologise for), get a BIG bunch of flowers, put them in the lounge at opposite end from the equipment.........she might see the equipment, but will also see the flowers, when she says are they to appease her being annoyed that you sneaked more equipment in, say no, its actually cuz of (mention suitable not so great news here).....so then she'll concentrate on that and forget the equipment :)

tfboy

Knyght_byte said:
cant help on the empire direct sale ending bit, but for sneaking past the missus some new equipment, try and arrange for some not so great news (ie not bad news, but something you might need to apologise for), get a BIG bunch of flowers, put them in the lounge at opposite end from the equipment.........she might see the equipment, but will also see the flowers, when she says are they to appease her being annoyed that you sneaked more equipment in, say no, its actually cuz of (mention suitable not so great news here).....so then she'll concentrate on that and forget the equipment :)
A man who speaks from experience I gather? :smashin:

I'd go for something like the Denon over a complete amp/speaker package at that price. As you've said, you can add centre, rears, sub at a later date. Gives you more chance to get some decent gear, and work towards getting permission over a period of time ;)

You can get some rather stylish nice looking floorstanders if you don't want to put bookshelf speakers on stands. I really think that it's so common nowadays, it's "socially acceptable" :rolleyes:

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
tfboy said:
A man who speaks from experience I gather? :smashin:

I'd go for something like the Denon over a complete amp/speaker package at that price. As you've said, you can add centre, rears, sub at a later date. Gives you more chance to get some decent gear, and work towards getting permission over a period of time ;)

You can get some rather stylish nice looking floorstanders if you don't want to put bookshelf speakers on stands. I really think that it's so common nowadays, it's "socially acceptable" :rolleyes:

actually no.......lol

my last ex was Japanese (born and bred, adult student over here) so had no problems with lots of speakers and electronic boxes floating around....lol

currently back at home after we split up and flat was too expensive, used the opportunity to spend half my wages over the last 2 years to get together a decent £11.5k worth of surround and stereo gear...heh

dunno how a future g/f will appreciate this lot being in her lounge, but im a very romanticly persuasive person......very easy to get someone round to my way of thinking.....
(already got one lined up, given i work in a very salesbased office with a lot of modern business thinking women working there, just have to say, hey, think how popular it'll make you to invite friends back from work for dinner and a film, not to sit crowded around a 20in CRT in the bedroom but with a 86in cinema size screen and cinema level sound....they'll think your loaded and love you for it ;-)

heh

Kendo76

Hehe :) You guys crack me up, excellent advice.

Flowers it is!

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
and dont forget the minor problem to distract her from the hifi as well as the flowers ;-)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
***Disclaimer for above post by myself***

I am in no way responsible should she leave you, your life turn to hell and ants invade your subwoofer thinking it made a nice bouncy castle.

S

Stormuk

I cheated when I bought my BK sub - had it sent to work and when I bought it home asked the Mrs to carry it in from the car.:D
Didn't need flowers or anything. Just what is that? was the question but then she's used to odd bits appearing. Only thing I micht have problems with is a decent Hi Fi rack because she says stuff has to be out of the way of the grandchildrens little fingers.:rolleyes:

Kendo76

I've talked to her about it briefly and she wants a custom stand made from antique pine if we're getting any more bits. That'll cost as much as the darn receiver!

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
stand for the amp stuff or the speakers?

make one, aint difficult, buy some antique pine boarding from homebase or b&q then, saw it up, sand down, lacquer, screw it together....use a few small metal corner braces and bingo :)

you could even show off, buy a few panes of glass and give it glass sides that are encased in the wood.....

Kendo76

She wants a stand for all the av equipment + tv. I think I'd rather spend the money than do it myself. Haven't done any woodworking since I was about 6 in primary school! :)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
ok, so what you do is buy the stand...AND the woodworking gear....

get on the dungarees (nothing else), go outside, make a lot of noise, leave a load of woodshavings in the back garden.....bring in the stand....plonk it down all glistening with sweat and bravado and say there ya go luv, just for you,.....then pick her up, take her upstairs and finish the afternoon off in style......bingo :)

heh

Kendo76

Just did the last bit :)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
Kendo76 said:
Just did the last bit :)

wot, played bingo? nice, get a house?

heh

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom