Bit of a moan!

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it me or is the new release schedule for the Gamecube a bit light?

I have a PAL machine and i have to say that i'm a little disappointed at the games out at the moment and due to come out. Nintendo were heralding the Gamecube as a machine launched with the best selection of titles but it certainly seems to have dried up somewhat.

Even if you look at the 'most eagerly awaited GC release' thread, most of the posts are awaiting the same games!

OK, i love Super Monkey Ball and some of the other games i've got but why aren't i particularly excited about anything else? :(

There does seem to be a long gap between te launch games and the next good things.
I am waiting for Resident Evil (Sep), Mario (Oct) and Zelda (Feb).

Considering that the launch was May, that seems like a long time.

I have currently got SMB and rogue leader, both of which I am stuck on, so it's not getting much use at the moment

Originally posted by andyk
Considering that the launch was May, that seems like a long time.

Precisely my point! Personally, I have SMB, Luigi's, Crazy Taxi, Extreme G3 and Rogue Leader.

I have completed all the tracks on Extreme G3, Progressed well on SMB (ish), got slightly bored of Crazy Taxi and Luigi's and only really just started playing Rogue Leader.

I always find that when i start using cheats to make the game more interesting, the game has died somewhat.

I am on the verge of using a cheat on Rogue Leader as have died in the same place so many times on one level. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the point that I die and it is easy until then, so it gets a bit tedious.

I don't know of any cheats on SMB or I would do the same I think

I used the cheat to unlock all levels yesterday but struggled with the later levels because i can never seem to track the tie-fighters long enough to shoot them down. The radar doesn't seem to be much hep to me for some strange reason and i end up just flying through space with everyone shouting for back up!

I finished the raid on the Death Star without using any cheats for the fist time yesterday too;)

I know what you guys mean about this lean period. Can I just recommend Wave Race though. I bought 4 games at launch and it's the game I go back to most. I've finished Luigi's Mansion and find Rogue Leader a bit boring. Monkey Ball is OK now and again but to be honest I think it's a bit overrated.

Next 2 purchases will hopefully be Res Evil and Mario.

RDB :)

I had Wave Race, but got rid a while ago. I just didn't really enjoy it.
Different strokes for different folks

If you're registered with Ebay you can pick it up for about £25 and then if you don't like it, sell it for about the same amount.

I just sold Luigi's for £24 which will help towards the cost of my next game.

RDB :)

If you do buy Waverace get it from somewhere like GAME who have a no-quibble returns policy as you will be returning it sooner rather than later,I got it one morning and returned it that afternoon!

Heh, WaveRace is a top title, but again everyone has their own tastes in gaming genres. Anyways there is a bit of a lean patch for the PAL base, but for the importers out there... They will get their Shine anytime soon ^_^ Star Fox Adventures is worthy of a mention as is Metroid Prime, and with Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil and Mario you have a stupidly strong first party lineup for the first year.

Compare this 1st party lineup against the PS2 and Xbox and I think you'll agree thats its quite formidable in terms of global awareness and potential sales. Other first party games on the PS2 like GT4 won't be out in Japan until late 2003 and Halo 2 will be around the same time, so all is not too bad.

Monkey Ball is a great game RDB, esp in multiplayer and when you get past the expert levels. Monkey Ball 2 out in sept (US) will be even better ^_^

not too worried about the long wait for new titles, it's giving my wallet a chance to recover and me a chance to get further on Rogue Leader!:D

lol same here, I need to finish off some Dark Aeons on FFX, then MGS2, GT3, Rogue Squadron, Monkey Ball, Rez, Capcom Vs SNK 2, etc etc... Too many games, not enough time.

Originally posted by NeoBlade
Too many games, not enough time.

Knows the feeling to well, but i have plenty of time as i have a kidney infection so i have to rest, so what better to do than play morrowwind :D

Sorry to hear about the kidney infection Delphi but its right to look at it in a positive way ^_^ Ever tried NeverWinter Nights? £40 for a PC game is a fair bit but since it have a level editor the prospect of making your own game using its engine is very tempting...

NWN is pretty dam good. It is really a more in-depth Diablo 1/2, it is very addictive.

It is more geared towards multiplayer, but my experience so far is that you really need to find a group of decent people to play with reguarly (much like PnP AD&D works). I played a couple of open servers and it was lots of d00ds, with worse conversations than a session of Counterstrike (lots of racist slurs and whose ur daddy crap).

Recommended if you like RPGs though, it has some nice conversation peices as always though, so you can be pretty evil if you want :)

How is the level editor on NWN? I've heard its not in depth as Morrowind. Basically I just want to edit everything in the world to create my own game of sorts.. I can't program to save my life so mods and level editors are the way forward for me.

I haven't really tried it, never been big on level editing (had a go during the days of DoomEd and it kind of bored me :p ).

The Aurora toolset is supposed to be pretty impressive, I suppose the major advantage it has over Morrowind is that it is multiplayer. So you can design your map to run on a server, whereas Morrowind is single player only??!?!?!??. The DM toolset looks quite interesting and from some of the forums I have heard really good reports of it being put to good use.

My problem is that I still play too much Counterstrike :) I have got a character to level 7 fighter/level 5 Ranger, the only problem I foresee in NWN is that it is very quick to level up. Unlike previous D&D games you can level really quickly and as it only goes up to 20 levels thats it. Once again, it is more for the disposable multiplayer character...... kind of a stop gap for me until SWG comes out, hopefully then get back into some in-depth MMORPG, back to the sad old days of Everquest powerlevelling :p

Hehe I know many people who are in love with CS. I haven't tried out online gaming since I feel that 56k just isn't enough. Once I get ADSL though that could change and I'll have a stab at some online gaming. Trouble for me though is that FPS give me motion sickness so I can't play in long stints. Real pain in the arse.

I think I'll give NWN a try anyway since it'll be interesting to see how flexible this level editor is since the possiblility to craft your own game is quite tempting. Theres loads of PC games I've missed out on, and since I'm working there isn't much time to play on them anyway. Ah well, at least when I'm old and retired there will be plenty of games to play ^_^

a little off topic.

Getting back to the subject at hand is SSX Tricky a new Gamecube release as it seems to have appeared out of nowhere all of a sudden? I'm going to give the GC some more time but it is starting to annoy me that my choice of games is so limited, and frankly damn expensive.

Has anyone played or seen reviews of the new top gun GC game that's out next week?

A whole ton of pre-order releases have just been added to Play.com for the end of the year.... that's a bit more promising I suppose.

Hehe, nearly all the threads I get involved in go off-topic :)

Top Gun on the PS2 got mediocre reviews not supposed to be very good.

The GC games aren't that expensive compared to X-Box and PS2. On the net they are easily 34.99 for new releases.

There are no decent upcoming PAL games for a couple of months (kicking off with Res Evil). I am almost tempted to pick up Rogue Leader second hand :)

yea well worth it, but I'm stuck on a b*tch of a mission at the mo.

I don't think its worth me getting Super Monkey Ball s/h either (i hired it for a couple of nights and got to the point where everyone else seems to get stuck).

Pikmin will be finished this week and i've been trying to pace myself on this.

Crazy taxi is ok but there is very little in the way of progression.

Guess my next stop will be Luigi's Mansion or 007 and hope that lasts me until Resident Evil. Thing is though when it gets to that point there's one decent game out every week until Christmas!! When it rains it pours.

Luigi's mansion is pretty easy that is the problem. I only have Super Monkey Balls at the moment, but I usually just play it with mates, which is the thing it is best at.

Waiting till I receive my Widescreen TV this weekend then I might go out and get Rogue Leader and Pikmin (I might hire Pikmin as it is supposed to be pretty easy).

Until then it is a long wait :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom