1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit of a HTPC newb

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cypher007, Feb 9, 2005.

1. cypher007

cypher007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    im currently thinking of constructing a HTPC. i already have several years pc building under my belt. ive got an xcard and pioneer dvd-rom and would like to be able to make something even my wife can use, as shes trying to wear out my svhs deck at the mo recording reay steady cook every day. i also have a JVC 32D40 HDTV compatible crt teley with component in, which i use with the xcard for dvd playback. it has an integrated DTV tuner but im not sure if you can record from this when the tv is off. so in short i want a HTPC that can utililize my xcard and record TV aka sky+ style and be remote controlable preferably.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For more than simple DVD playback duties, especially where a PVR is also needed it seems to me that an MCE 2005-based system is getting pretty unbeatable and I'd be inclined to buy one if starting from scratch. Check the Elonex Artisan thread here, the machine looked very tasy in the PC Pro review.

3. cypher007

cypher007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if i was to build from scratch a semperon system in a shuttle case. what tv capture card would you sugest? im not sure weather to capture analogue dtv from the tv or have a dtv card. also if i use an analogue capture card will it capture widescreen?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not the best person to ask about TV capture, it's not something I do, however the Sweetspot is used by many (I had one briefly in their early days in autumn 2003). David from Pluggedin.tv drops by here and there are many threads round here mentioning this device.

5. cypher007

cypher007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ive now got a semperon 2200+ overclocked to 1800mghz with 256mb ram 160gb raid 0 and xp pro and an xcard. now i need some upto date info on the best tunner/capture card, for PVR duties, which is capable of scheduling power up/down of the pc. im currently looking at a Compro T300 Analogue and Digital TV tuner anything better out there?

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Have you looked at the Nebula digiTV cards? they do a USB version which could be quite handy for you..?

very good quality stuff.. not sure about scheduled power up, but the PVR can certainly shutdown the PC after recording ends..

I've not personally used any other cards, but i'd find it hard to imagine anything else bettering the Nebula in terms of digiTV quality...?

7. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Just about any DVB-T card PCI or USB2 will do as long as its labelled as MCE2005 compatible and has the neccesary MCE2005 drivers, I've got a Terratec DVB-T PCI and a Nova DVB-T USB2. Would also suggest sticking more RAM in at least 512Mb preferrably a Gig.