bit of a complicated one, please bear with me....

dogtown

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all and happy new year!!!!

Right, i have a 5.1 set up, im using a onkyo amp 2 kef L and R speakers, a kef centre and kef surrounds.

I also have record decks that when in use i use the 'Pure audio' setting on the amp and the sound comes through the L and R speakers only. Now, one of my surround speakers are right next to the record decks and it would be really handy if i cound have this speaker on whilst using the decks (can hear the music better when mixing) almost like a 'moniter' speaker.

Now i was thinking about running another wire out of the L or R channel of the amp to the surround speaker and having it on bullet connectors (or something like) so i can have it connected with the decks and disconnect it for when im watching films.

is there a better way of going about this and would i have to bridge it on the amp? (say use the + from the L channel and the - from the right)
Steve

Last edited:
Assuming your records are in stereo using your idea would you not only get one channel?
Anyway if your amp has a direct 5 or 7 channel input and you have enough output from your turntable you could run a "y" adapter from your turntable to the input that corresponded to your prefered speaker leave the other inputs blank and it will just come out of your one prefered speaker when switched to that input.

no it would come out of 3 speakers, L & R and the surround speaker by the decks. When the amp is on Pure Audio, only the front L & R channel is used so i need to tap the surround speaker into that channel for when im using the decks but also have the surround speaker in its surround channel for films

You will effectively be crossing the two terminals if you connect both the l and r outputs too the one speaker. This will not be good for the amp. If you only connect either l or r then you will have the 2 speakers in parallel which will lower the impedance on that connection. Hence you will have an imbalance which again will not be good for the amp. In short either method can not really be done.

As far as I know pure audio or direct audio just means no processing is applied as any sort degrades sound quality (at least theoretically) so it give you the best sterio. If this is something you can apply to any input it just means no processing is applied. If it means it switches to the front sterio chanels so be it, that still makes sense.
However if you have a seperate 5 chanell input (devised in the past so that procesing formats that may exist on cd's or dvd's and come out of a 'modern' player yet not exist in your amp meant your amp was not obsolite). So if you have an input like this you could put whatever you wanted in to each phono input. so 5 seperate mono things for example (don't know why you would want to) front could become back. You choose! Do you have a multi channel input?

hmm im not sure bow, (quite new to this) my amp is a onkyo tx-nr 509.

i was thinking about putting a swich on the wire coming out of the surround speaker so that i could run a wire from the L output of the amp to the switch, and a wire coming from the surround output to the switch, then out the switch into the surround speaker. I know that when on pure audio the L channel would be running 2 speakers and the R channel would be running 1. i not too fussed about a little drop in quality but would it cause damage to the amp??? this is why i was previously asking would it be better to run the surround speaker off of the - L and + R when in pure audio mode

Another thought is it possible to swith to mono?

Looks like it does not have 5 channel input.
Does it switch to mono? Be good if it did!
You could get a speaker switching box and 2 more speakers connect to front speaker outputs and it becomes one set of speakers or other set so no extra stress on amp.

This is starting to sound a bit hairy. If you had 2 switches one isolates deck speaker from rear (switching to sterio sort of does this) other swich chouses front speaker (and rears) eg normal amp use or deck speaker powerd by front speaker output. BUT if all this is not properley isolated from each other could spell disaster.

You can not connect 1 extra speaker to either one or both front L/R without risking damage to your amp.

ok let hit this from another angle....

is there any way i can have all 4 speakers on when in pure audio mode??? and then back to normal for films etc

some kind of switch maybe??

Doesn't your amp have an all channel stereo mode? Most receivers will have a mode to put the same stereo signal from all speakers. This would be the easiest way to get what you want. Two speakers on one speaker connect will affect the impedance the amp sees which could cause damage

it does but the problem is this....

when the amps in any other mode than pure audio, because its prosessing the sound, its actually a millisecond behind whats coming out the record deck which makes mixing impossible

been playing with the settings and yes it has full mono, direct etc, but even on these settings its still running through the audessy eq. i need a way of having all 4 speakers on in 'pure audio' mode....

right.

what about if i was to get a speaker switchbox, run the front L & R and the surround L & R out the amp and into inputs on the switchbox, then connect all the speakers to the corrasponding outputs on the switchbox. Then when watching films i can have all the switches 'Off' and when on decks in pure audio mode i can have them all 'ON'

Would this work? and more importantly would it cause damage to the amp??

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom