• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

bit of a bass problem - lack of hearing it...

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Right then Mr and Mrs AVF user group, i need some help.......

i moved house a couple of weeks ago and whilst ive had chance to hook the lot up i havent spent too long tweaking and getting it right... in fact all ive done is run the auto calibration and tweaked that slightly to my taste and now i have a problem with bass...

My setup is as follows...

Pioneer VSX1019 Amp
2 x mordaunt short 916i floor standers
1 x Mordaunt short 905i center
1 x 20 - 39 SVS cylinder sub
2 x bookshelf sony speakers (for rears).

The problem i have is with the bass.... i'm WELL aware of the rumbling going on, ie i can hear some bass and i can hear things rattling and feel the air move (at heavy moments so to speak) but i cant actually hear a huge amount of thumping bass, is this my dodgy calibration or dodgy hearing....? :confused:

i dont know a huge about sound calibration, in fact ive learnt everything myself really through reading here (and various other online articles) and listening for what i like.... i like a warm sound, hence the mordaunt shorts, and pairing them with a relatively bright sounding amp to get the balance.

any thoughts or advice? :)

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The SVS ported cylinders are not the warmest sounding subs, so this may be your issue. How was it in the previous house, was the old room a fair bit smaller than the current one, and/or the listening distance closer in the old one?

twoeyedbob

Established Member
Right then Mr and Mrs AVF user group, i need some help.......

i moved house a couple of weeks ago and whilst ive had chance to hook the lot up i havent spent too long tweaking and getting it right... :)

I presume in your old house you did spend some time tweaking...?

Auto eq/calibration is generally regarded as a starting point...

Now Set your spkr size's and crossover's ....after that if there's
Still a problem.....you'll possibly have to play with sub placement

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Spent a shed load of time tweaking.... Im off work this week so plan to do the same again but was wondering if anyone may pop up with "oh thats clearly this!" Type thing...:)

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
flooring type, whats the sub on.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Sorry the old house was just on carpet. And this house on wood floor. Is that floor boards in both houses.
Is the sub firing, not to familiar with the sub.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Sorry, yes old house on carpet (concrete under) and current pad is wood flooring (laminate i reckon). Sub is def firing, if i stand over it its great, just not comfortable to sit there... :D

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Sorry, yes old house on carpet (concrete under) and current pad is wood flooring (laminate i reckon). Sub is def firing, if i stand over it its great, just not comfortable to sit there... :D

Is the new pad concrete under the laminate. Maybe try and get a slab and place that under the sub.

MemX

Prominent Member
Could be worth doing the Sub Crawl? :)

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
This may be a case of the new smaller room giving more low end gain, which on balance would make the sub soind less punchy. Only thing to try really is a different position, maybe if you can get the sub out of a corner and turn it up a little it will help.

Nick1881

Prominent Member
Could be worth trying an Antimode? I had this problem before, things were much improved with an antimode and even better with the Anthem.

Buy an Antimode to try it, you can return it in 7 days under DSR if it doesn't sort you out.

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Never learnt how to do that... Been faffing this morning though, moved the sub to a corner and it does sound better....

Reckon ive got some more reading to do....

You could try altering the port tune settings or perhaps in the move you have knocked the switch so your sub is tuned to one tune and the amp another

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Could be worth trying an Antimode? I had this problem before, things were much improved with an antimode and even better with the Anthem.

Buy an Antimode to try it, you can return it in 7 days under DSR if it doesn't sort you out.

been looking at that... it seems a bit more settled at the moment so i may play with it some more tomorrow.

You could try altering the port tune settings or perhaps in the move you have knocked the switch so your sub is tuned to one tune and the amp another

thats ok, i was damn careful to check that before switching it back on. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom