bit confused about upscaling

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by dibs65, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dibs65

dibs65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We just bought a 26LG3000 at the weekend and bit confused about upscaling with dvd player. Do I need an HDMI upscaling dvd player, such as phillips dvp3980 (did have a sumvision phoenix but that seems to have stopped working) or will the tv upscale if I used component leads from panasonic DMR-ES10 we have in kids room.

Thanks

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    the tv will scale in a way, to its native resolution, anything thats plugged into it.

3. boudicca

boudicca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    "Upscale" has been hijacked by the PR/Sales crowd...it really means take a pixel and add a pixel around it matching the adjacent pixels but methods do vary and..they take a 576p to 720p to 1080i to 1080p. the software and processing chip that does this dictates how good a job of this it does. This is "Scaling". The problem is that some companies claim upscaling when it actually "Upconverts" which although similar in some respects....the truth is it isn't. Some of these upscaling dvd players do exactly that upconvert rather than scale as the price for the dvd player would be in the several hundreds of pounds.

Upconverting takes the image to the next level, e.g 576p to 720p and a source of 720p to 1080i and a source of 1080i to 1080p (me not totally sure on the last one ?)

If your source doesn't have the detail, the final upscaled/upconverted image will never be as good as a source that does.

Many LCD TV's do sort of scale upconvert but often without any obvious controls of how that is done, I've yet to see one with really makes a difference without introducing errors and artifacts. So far the best scalers are often found on top of the range audio/video receivers. e.g Yahama, Onkyo, Sony etc although a lot of hoohar has been make audio Toshiba's Cell processor based one in the new range of Tv's, I'm yet to be impressed.

Video scaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I have a Yamaha receiver and a Snazio and Buffalo Network Streaming DVD players that do upconvert/upscale from the original DVD very well (These do have controls to change the output resolution), but they were certainly not cheap Adsa ones.

Shaz

PS just remembered even the Sky HD box has a 576p 1080i option

More Info : http://thetechwizard.vox.com/library/post/the-dvd-upscaling-lie.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009