1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birthday soon but which Laptop ???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cutes6, Apr 12, 2005.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

I am allowed to spend around £1,000 for a new Laptop for my birthday :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now I bought my girls 2 Acer 1683wlmi''s for Xmas and they are a very good spec and perform well but the sound is rubbish. But I really did not do a lot of research and with Barclay card price promise which has now stopped I got them for £900 each which at the time I think was a very good deal so bought them.

This time I would like to take advice from you knowledgable people of what I should be looking at.

I don't intend on playing games but you never know, but I do intend to back up some of my DVD's which I know is power hungry and that means a good dvd writer .I would like a widescreen with a good battery life, I must have the ability to use wireless "g"and would prefer inbuilt to keep the card slot free - does that mean Centrino ?? I am so out of touch with the different processors.

It must have a large hard drive say at least 60 - 80 gig and good memory. I have a scaler at my home system and a plasma at my flat so are there laptops with DVI out along with VGA ?? I am not bothered about a 17" screen as I would like something that is slim and as light as possible.

Who are recognised as good solid reliable laptop makers and would like something as future proof as possible particularly when it comes to graphics as I believe some laptops have shared graphics memory which is not as good and I realise that Laptops are hard to upgrade. It must come with the software disks.

Having said all that and giving as much info as possible I will mainly be using it for Internet viewing but want to cover the bases as much as possible.

I would also consider something which is nearly new if it was a good make and spec and had some sort of warranty remaining.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps someone help me with ideas,

thanks

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Look at the DELL Precision M70 which can be had with just about everything you want......

3. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Wrong Dell, I have the newly released Dell Inspiron 9300, this Laptop is a Homecinema\Multimedia powerhouse, I'll give you my spec first.

17" Widescreen WUXGA Panel (1920 x 1280)

New Centrino 2 (Sonomo) Chipset.
    1.86 Pentium M 533Mhz Bus (can choose up to 2.1, mine roughly benchmarks the same as a P4 2.8)

1 gig of DDR2 533 RAM (waited for the Double RAM offer)
    256Mb Geoforce 6800 Go PCIx16 Graphics card (can save money by going for an ATI X300)

80 GB HDD (5400 rpm)
    Sony Dual Layer DVD Writer 8x

External DVI input + Firewire, 6 USB2, SD slot, VGA, PC Card.

Internal built in Wi-Fi (b & g) and Bluetooth 2

Built in Subwoofer.

The above should cover all youre requirements mine came to £1300, the price is slightly less now and if you choose a lesser Grapfics card, memory or Processor I'm sure you can reach the £1000 budget, the Graphics Card is complete overkill unless you like Gaming.

4. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thank you both for your replies, it seems like Dell is the one to go for. Is it best / cheaper to buy direct from Dell and I guess there is a lead time involved ?

5. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    You can only buy direct from Dell, lead time is about a week depending on stock.

If you visit http://notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153 there is a specific Dell i9300/XPS2 forum with 1000's of posts, just looked and there was 127 people viewing, don't pay too much attention to some of the negative reviews though, this machine is amazing and I was looking for a full year before I made my mind up, and this model has generated a huge following and fanbase around the world. Happy surfing.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I should add I have one of those as well as the M70 :smashin: :smashin: You DO need the better graphics card if you are to play hi def files out of it the X300 struggles....... Oh and DOOMIII must have the better card ;) I would also go for the 2.13Ghx chip....