Birth of the Dragon Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,323
    2. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13,153
      Thanks for the review Cas. One to miss methinks. A while back I picked one called Young Bruce Lee from Poundland. It was very good and seemed to be reasonably close to the real events. I'd love to see a sequel to complete Bruce's story.

Bri

3. tanglung

tanglung
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,005
      This was actually released to cinemas in the USA, made the top 10 so not a straight to dvd film. I've had the USA blu for months and i quite enjoyed this one, i am biased though as i'm a Bruce Lee nut.Thought the fight scenes were pretty decent myself. The best movie about Bruce's life is still the 1976 Brucepoitation film Bruce Lee:The Man,The Myth with Ho Chung Tao (Bruce Li) would love a blu ray of that, got the german dvd at present.

4. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,323
      Yup, I never said it was, I said it was released theatrically in 2016 but was dumped to BD here two years later in the UK and that it had a straight-to-video feel, which is probably supported by the fact it was never given a theatrical release in the UK!

5. tanglung

tanglung
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,005
      Fair enough but we are in an age where big movies like Annhilation,& The Foreigner are getting dumped on Netflix here in the UK.I disagree it had a straight to video feel but i take your point.

6. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,323
      True.

I’d like to think it was a good thing (Netflix) but it does mean smaller gems may never get seen on the Big Screen.

Annihilation was a surprise, and I think if Drive was released today it could easily end up on Netflix (which would have been a travesty).

I’m also shocked that I’m NOT going to see Scorsese’s latest gangster epic on the Big Screen, with DeNiro, Pacino et al.

But I guess it’s better than these films languishing for years without a release - look at Snowpiercer, 5 years later and has that even had a UK release yet??

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +802
      Being a huge Bruce Lee fan and having knowledge of his life through his close friends including Danny Inosanto and having intensely read about his life this film film is an absolute joke . I understand the director has to dramatise events but the most important factor missing form this film is the truth.

8. tanglung

tanglung
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,005
      I never took this film as "the truth" i took it for what it was ,an entertaining 90 odd minute action flick.it didn't reinvent the wheel but i enjoyed it for what it was.

9. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13,153
      I'd rather have something close to the truth otherwise they're just exploiting Bruce's fans. I saw the DVD in Tesco today. I'm sure I could have found the blu there or in HMV but I didn't bothereven looking.

Bri

10. tanglung

tanglung
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,005
      The fight the film is based on did happen though and it's shrouded in mystery what actually happened, there's many different accounts, none definitive. So the film's premise is accurate, Bruce Lee in his younger days challenged Wong Jack Man to a fight that did take place.The film's account of what transpired is just another take on the various accounts that have surfaced down the years.

11. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +802
      Yes the fight happened in Oakland, behind closed doors with only 7 witnesses including Linda Lee Bruce's Wife.

Bruce lee was practising the the Wing Chun Style at the time of the fight. Wong jack Man martial art style was more of self defence, mental and spiritual healing and health benefits. According to actual witnesses from 3 of the people who where there inc Linda Lee the fight was very frantic and scrappy. Bruces style was close combat and his hand speed was to much for Wong jack man. So he basically was on the back foot on the run from Bruce's lighting speed of punches to the central body area. After about 5 mins Wong Jack Man fell to the floor and Bruce got on top of him and laid a series of frantic punches and asked Wong Jack to yield he asked twice and the fight was over.

Wong Jack man said the fight lasted over 20 mins which is ridiculous. . Linda Lee also said Bruce was breathless at the end of the 5 min fight, and he is a fanatic when it comes to his physical being especially his stamina. So for Wong Jack man to make that statement is just unrealistic

After the fight Bruce was very unhappy with the way the fight went due to it being like a scrappy street fight and questioned the Wing Chung style as Bruce was a perfectionist. so in 1967 he created his own style of Jeet Kune Do. Which is MMA today meaning there is no set or fixed style of fighting like traditional Chinese martial arts, which can have flaws due to an opponent having a style that could exploit a weakness due to clash of styles.

This why the film is called Birth Of Dragon as the fight with Wong Jack Man made him question the philosophy of traditional martial arts and so the Birth of Jeet Kune Do.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    12. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,394
      Article here about it,worth a read :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-fate-was-an-inevitable-tragedy/#9f0769f4ed90