Birmingham airport hotels/guest houses

deckingman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We are flying from Birmingham in July. My daughter is taking us and bringing us back, but as the flight is very early in the morning, we intend to arrive the day before and stay overnight somewhere close. On this occassion, we won't need parking - just a room and transfer to the airport (could use a taxi). Any recommendations please?

I can't recommend anywhere specifically because I live here and never used any :D

But I'd suggest somewhere in the City centre so you can have a nose around and make a day of it. Broad St would be favourite here, imo as it's the main pub/club area and not far from the Bullring etc.

The downside is that a Taxi would be about £20 at a guess (about 10 miles).

It also depends if you want cheap and cheerful or posh.

Here's a link that suggests a fair range of prices.

The Arden Hotel has a good reputation, but is a bit pricey.

The Hollybank guest house is a lot cheaper and I quite like Coleshill. It's quite small though.

I am sure I spent a couple of nights in the HollyBank once upon a time. Move to the Metropole for subsequent stop overs.

I know from recent experience that a taxi to the airport from the City Centre will be circa £30.

Depends on how much of the day before you plan on spending here - if its afternoon / evening then I would avoid the city centre. You'll spend most of it sitting in traffic and its a pretty stressful way to start a trip away IMO.

Try Solihull - its town centre has enough to entertain you for a few hours in the afternoon (if you like looking round shops :D) and there are plenty of places to eat. There are lots of hotels in Solihull and the smaller places around it - Knowle, Dorridge etc. 10-15 mins in a taxi, £10 max, in the early hours and extra time in bed :clap:

The Greswolde in Knowle is a nice bar / restaurant with rooms but I'd only stay there if you were arriving in the evening and just wanted a nice bit of dinner, a few drinks and bed.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Forget the night out/entertainment thing. Just a place to get a decent meal and a good night's kip. Nothing too flash but not a flea pit either. We live right out in the sticks and are not used to traffic noise, so somewhere quiet (if that's possible in that neck of the woods) would be good.

Yep gransteves suggestions are good. I wouldnt have thought of the Solihull option but it does make sense. I'm surprised that a taxi costs £30 from city centre to the airport! My local taxi firm do it cheaper than that and I live further out. With that in mind grantsteves suggestions makes even more sense.

I'm surprised that a taxi costs £30 from city centre to the airport!

I know, robbing swines :thumbsdow

I've had a minibus a few times from near spaghetti and I usually pay £25, hence my guess at £20 from the CC.

I'm surprised that a taxi costs £30 from city centre to the airport! My local taxi firm do it cheaper than that and I live further out.

My recent £30 fare was a black cab with baggage from Edgbaston. Had I had the sense to pre-plan I suspect one of the local private hire companies would have done it a bit cheaper.

My recent £30 fare was a black cab with baggage from Edgbaston. Had I had the sense to pre-plan I suspect one of the local private hire companies would have done it a bit cheaper.

I don't doubt you mate.

They always have you by the proverbials when it's last minute.

I live as close to Birmingham Airport as can be, planes come and go about 50ft above my roof (it's probably higher due to safety but they do seem very low!). The cab fare to the city centre from here is a joke. The train takes less than 10mins to get from the city centre to the airport and costs about £1.80 for a single.

But i'd agree with grantsteve too, Solihull is probably your best bet! :smashin:

Fortunately it is. We're not quite London yet, thank god.

In that case grantsteve's suggestions are good imo :smashin:

Cheers. We usually end up having to fly from Gatwick and usually stay overnight the day before. How the hell does anyone sleep with all that racket going on 24/7?

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I know Solihul area a bit - did some work for Land Rover a few years back. I'll take a look see at those you've mentioned on 'tinternet and get something booked.

How the hell does anyone sleep with all that racket going on 24/7?

:D

Well, I'm in North Birmingham, and am now away from the flight path.
But when I was younger, I was directly under it, albeit some 6 -7 miles out.

And yes it was noisy during the day, but you get used to it.

Fortunately, Birmingham airport is a lot quieter than Gatwick when it comes to the night time.
It's still fairly busy, but nowhere near as much as the usual suspects.
Probably something to do with it having amongst the highest landing fees of any airport in the country.

I digress.

Enjoy your Hols :thumbsup:

Theres a Travel Lodge / Holiday Inn hotel place near where I work (about 5 mins from the Airport) with a pub next door (The Little Owl) should be fine for your needs

That's the one i stayed in recently, couldn't remember the Pub name when I was posting my reply.

Very good food, but can get very busy.

Living under the flightpath at B'ham Airport i don't really notice any noise, the triple glazing helps! In the summer it's a bit noisy during the day, got the windows open and theres more planes going over. I don't hear a thing during the night.

:D

Well, I'm in North Birmingham, and am now away from the flight path.
But when I was younger, I was directly under it, albeit some 6 -7 miles out.

And yes it was noisy during the day, but you get used to it.

Fortunately, Birmingham airport is a lot quieter than Gatwick when it comes to the night time.
It's still fairly busy, but nowhere near as much as the usual suspects.
Probably something to do with it having amongst the highest landing fees of any airport in the country.

I digress.

Enjoy your Hols :thumbsup:

Ta will do.

BTW, it isn't the aircraft so much at Gatwick, it's the traffic - never stops. Being an "ol' country boy", the only sound we get at night is the odd owl hoot.

Once had friends stay overnight who lived in Stanmore. They didn't sleep a wink all night because it was too quiet! It really freeked them out - like some sort of sensory deprivation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom