Birds, surfers & the Ocean. Beautiful scenery.

Discussion in 'Drone Forum' started by photojunky, Jul 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    This was shot over two mornings and was made from about only 15-20 minutes of footage. The fog was just right.
    Linda Mar Beach, Pacifica. Birds & Surfers...

2. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,543
    Very nice, however, would you be offended if I just offered a couple of small point of positive, constructive criticism?

I'll take that as a no :)

In that case, I'd say overall some very nice footage, colors and scenery.
    My only tiny issues are with the two neck snapping pans near the beginning, smoother/slower more gentle would be easier on the eye.
    Secondly, just my feeling, the music is a little up-beat and hard? for the gentle relaxing video footage.
    Other than those 2 small things, excellent work and I look forward to seeing more from you :)

3. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks, always like constructive criticism. At the beginning I believe I was trying to keep the birds in the video. But slow smooth always best. Funny, I got a compliment about the music but I think they were just being nice. I agree with you. The music could have been better.

4. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,543
    Well, music is a very subjective thing of course, it was just the landscape and your video was so gentle and soothing, lovely conditions, for myself anyway, a slightly more soothing soundtrack would have felt more fitting. But as I say it's just a subjective thing.

As for the quick panning, I understand about the birds yes. If memory serves me right, I think quick panning in generally a no no when it comes to being taught about taking video footage. But as you say, the birds don't follow the rules :)

I'd imagine many people take tons and tons of footage, multiple flights, and then come back and edit it all together.

I have a cheap Quadcopter, it has a camera, only 720p, but it's not stabilized, so I've never ever tried the footage as I know it will be all over the place.
    I'd love a nice model, like you have, but I have to be honest with myself and admit, I just don't have places where I'd use it. It would be £1000+ purchase, then sit in the box for 99.999% of the time.

So I just bought my cheap one to get the bug out of my system ;)

Keep up the great work. Have any other plans for particular video's to take or locations to go to?

5. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    A friend of mine wants me to shoot him while he is surfing and paddle boarding. That should be interesting. Other than that, I carry it around a lot just in case, but no specific plans.

6. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,543
    How did you build up the courage, if that's the right word, to fly out over the sea at quite a distance?
    Do you have one of those models that, if it thinks the battery is running low, it will automatically come back to where you are standing?

7. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have to admit, every time I fly I am scared to death :) I have been doing it for only 2 years, but have been doing it a lot so I am far more confident now than I used to be. I have a phantom 3 Advanced which does have GPS and will return to home if I lose signal or the battery runs low. This particular model can fly about two miles which is pretty far. When it is at that distance you are flying through the screen. I have a lot of hours on this particular one, and I have had to replace a motor and add some motor mount brackets because the factory motor mounts which are attached to the lower arm began cracking. I can do all the repairs myself so it is not really an expense. Should this drone happen to take a swim, I will look at it as, I have got my money's worth.

8. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    If you are not familiar with the different models of drones, and don't want to spend a lot, I would recommend getting either a used Phantom 3 Advanced or a phantom standard which is still pretty good. They can be found starting at around $300 u.s. dollars. Both record in HD although the advanced is better, both will return home if something bad happens such as a lost signal or low battery, and both have readily available replacement parts if you keep it long enough.

9. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,543
    The new, released by an Argos Advert by Accident new Mavics look really nice.
    But, after I've flown a bit and the novelty has worn off, I know it's going to sit in the box.

Flying out of line of sight with a headset on is something I've love, but that's illegal in the uk, well, only is someone catches you!