Birds of Prey Review & Comments

wow, so even AV Forums can't get away from man-hating feminists these days... shame... used to be a good site...
Movies are suppose to be about entertainment and not agenda-driven/political stuff. but i guess some people forget that and just want to push the narrative these days. I personally do not care who a hero/heroine of the movie is as long as the movie is GOOD, and there are loads of examples of good movies with women leads and bad movies with men leads. it is all about ENTERTAINMENT and not about an AGENDA/NARRATIVE.

Last edited:
Must be alone, loved Logan, I fully embraced the end of his time and passing the sword onwards to the female lead, bit more realistic than some super hero story lines. Open minded on BOP will await a few more reviews but did think MR was great in Sucide Squad.
I also loved Logan.

Any review is by definition an individual's personal opinion filtered through their own perspective. You may not agree, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Some of the comments above border on the idiotic... in my opinion. I have say, the trailer didn't do a very good job of promoting this film, but after reading Kumari's review I think I'll check it out.
On that basis it's utterly pointless having people review films or indeed any art form.... As it is so individual that it is essentially meaningless. At least with the AV equipment that gets reviewed here are some definitive measurements that can be utilised to come to an opinion.
Personally I really enjoyed 1917 but have seen it much criticised as well

Never read a review before I go to see one.. Especially one I'm very interested in watching

Loved the film and agree that it's a great alternative to the Gotham we've seen so far - fun without going all 1960s. The trailer really didn't help to sell it, I have to admit.

A shame that this thread immediately turned into a "omigod, men have it SO HARD" whinge-athon though.

Last edited:
wow, so even AV Forums can't get away from man-hating feminists these days... shame... used to be a good site...
Movies are suppose to be about entertainment and not agenda-driven/political stuff. but i guess some people forget that and just want to push the narrative these days. I personally do not care who a hero/heroine of the movie is as long as the movie is GOOD, and there are loads of examples of good movies with women leads and bad movies with men leads. it is all about ENTERTAINMENT and not about an AGENDA/NARRATIVE.
The reason I'm not getting the vibe I not going to like it nothing to do with women being the main characters in fact 2 of my top comic heros are female, the trailer looks appalling, it also looks like DC/Warner given carte blanche powers for the script and director to do whatever they want. Although not up to speed on what the present characters of DC in this film are after the 52 reboot some of the characters are not the the ones I've known for decades in fact some have been more accurate to the comics in the Arrow universe. The Huntress is almost like Marvel's Punisher from the trailer she looks a wimp.
To me it's like Harley Quinn was the most popular character in Suicide Squad and they just run with it and anything goes. Like the latest incarnation of Spider-Man the writers seem to have wrote a story and then realised they none of the regular characters are in it so just named random characters from what's gone before as support characters.
To me they they just spoiled a lot of characters that could be used in the correct way later on.

A good point.

On that basis it's utterly pointless having people review films or indeed any art form.... As it is so individual that it is essentially meaningless. At least with the AV equipment that gets reviewed here are some definitive measurements that can be utilised to come to an opinion.
Personally I really enjoyed 1917 but have seen it much criticised as well
Never read a review before I go to see one.. Especially one I'm very interested in watching
Perhaps it is, after all you can't apply scientific measurements to art and we all interpret it differently. But it doesn't justify some of the moronic comments in this thread. Personally I have always found Kumari's reviews to be well-written and insightful. She's also not afraid to score bad films harshly. Funny you should mention 1917 because Kumari gave it 9/10 in her review, so sounds like you're in agreement there: 1917 Review

I don’t understand why people are taking this review so personally, It must be refreshing to
be a woman and to watch an all female superhero film. Are people really going to deny that most of the superhero movies are lead by straight white men? It’s getting a bit stale.
If you’re a male and have been offended by this review, why?
Great review which now has me interested in the film.

Yawn. The thread now basically consists of 'whingers' and white knights.
wowee having an opinion and sharing it one way or the other on a forum discussing something now makes you a whinger !
I'm sure you made your opinions on a film in the past as much as some of the other contributors to this thread.
As for white knights I don't think there any mates of Donald Trump's here :rolleyes: :laugh:
White Knights.jpg

And as Scott said to Logan 'Oh and Lucasisking stop whinging':rotfl:

Perhaps it is, after all you can't apply scientific measurements to art and we all interpret it differently. But it doesn't justify some of the moronic comments in this thread. Personally I have always found Kumari's reviews to be well-written and insightful. She's also not afraid to score bad films harshly. Funny you should mention 1917 because Kumari gave it 9/10 in her review, so sounds like you're in agreement there: 1917 Review
I haven't read her 1917 review and i haven't read her BOP review either and i have not seen it...for me to go to a cinema i have to really want to see a film and this film does fall into that category.

the whole concept of the movie and the trailers of 1917 drew me to want to watch that film ..even though its not perfect ,

the concept of and the trailers of this movie does not make me want to see it so i wont

It may be utter HERESY but i felt absolutely no desire to watch JOKER based on the concept and trailers and i haven't.

wowee having an opinion and sharing it one way or the other on a forum discussing something now makes you a whinger !
I'm sure you made your opinions on a film in the past as much as some of the other contributors to this thread.
As for white knights I don't think there any mates of Donald Trump's here :rolleyes: :laugh:
View attachment 1255607

And as Scott said to Logan 'Oh and Lucasisking stop whinging':rotfl:

I think you may have missed the 'air quotes' I put around the word 'whinger'.

I didn't call people that. It was sarcastic.

As for the white knights, I was referring to all the gallant gentlemen riding in on their valiant steeds to defend our female reviewer from the patriarchal evils of mild criticism.

I love the reviews on this site and am very appreciative of the time and effort put in by the review team

But

this one basically says it’s good cos it’s about women....doesn’t work sorry. It’s either good or bad because someone thinks it is. You could have left that line out and it would not have made one iota of difference to the review or the score.

Expecting a great review for the next Bond film as rumour has it, it has some rather strong female lead characters...

I think you may have missed the 'air quotes' I put around the word 'whinger'.

I didn't call people that. It was sarcastic.

As for the white knights, I was referring to all the gallant gentlemen riding in on their valiant steeds to defend our female reviewer from the patriarchal evils of mild criticism.
I don't know what meant by inverted commas 'whinger'.
As for white knights I did know what you meant. I do know a bit about chivalry, white knight, paladins, knight errants etc. That was not even being sarcastic, but a joke hence the :rolleyes: :laugh:.

Male oriented dour & bleak:

I must have imagined Deadpool, Kick Ass, Thor Ragnarok, Ant Man, Guardians, Iron Man, Superman the Movie, Shazam, Spider-Man, Avengers...

Few posts later of similar but not so subtle sentiment mixed with some opposing views...

Yawn. The thread now basically consists of 'whingers' and white knights.

You're the best, don't ever change! ;)

I don’t understand why people are taking this review so personally, It must be refreshing to
be a woman and to watch an all female superhero film. Are people really going to deny that most of the superhero movies are lead by straight white men? It’s getting a bit stale.
If you’re a male and have been offended by this review, why?
Great review which now has me interested in the film.
Because it looks and sounds like they decided to write to an agenda rather than write a great or at least entertaining film. A film can have a message but it's not a documentary, bottom line it has to entertain. The weird thing is that apparently the film isn't as bad as the marketing made it out to be. It's just an average to below average comic book flick with a committed performance by Robbie but not much else.

So you make a Harley Quinn movie, chuck in some extras with costumes not even vaguely resembling the comic counterparts then make all the women heroes and "all" the men villains. Most comic book fans are male and you've alienated them before they even decide to see the film. Then your whole marketing strategy is around nothing but misogyny, and avoiding the "male gaze"? That's the walk in crowd alienated. Case in point:
Kumari Tilakawardane said:
The perfect antidote to male-orientated, dour, grim and bleak superhero films that take themselves too seriously, Birds of Prey is fun, flirty, flashy and… well, fantabulous.

Then add to that the R-rating and you are asking for trouble.

Unless something changes the film is already tracking to be the worst DCEU opening ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it looks and sounds like they decided to write to an agenda rather than write a great or at least entertaining film. A film can have a message but it's not a documentary, bottom line it has to entertain. The weird thing is that apparently the film isn't as bad as the marketing made it out to be. It's just an average to below average comic book flick with a committed performance by Robbie but not much else.

So you make a Harley Quinn movie, chuck in some extras with costumes not even vaguely resembling the comic counterparts then make all the women heroes and "all" the men villains. Most comic book fans are male and you've alienated them before they even decide to see the film. Then your whole marketing strategy is around nothing but misogyny, and avoiding the "male gaze"? That's the walk in crowd alienated. Case in point:

Then add to that the R-rating and you are asking for trouble.

Unless something changes the film is already tracking to be the worst DCEU opening ever.
Thank goodness we finally have someone who has actually seen the film commenting on its relative quality.
The number of people on here weighing in without seeing anything other than the trailer is so silly, isn't it?
And like, the filmmakers have very little control over the marketing of the film but most people don't seem to get that. Glad we're on the same page, at least.
Where do you think this ranks alongside the other DC movies?

Must be alone, loved Logan, I fully embraced the end of his time and passing the sword onwards to the female lead, bit more realistic than some super hero story lines. Open minded on BOP will await a few more reviews but did think MR was great in Sucide Squad.

Mr who?

A film that would appeal to a wider audience.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom