Quantcast

Birds of Prey Review & Comments

AncientYouth

Thank goodness we finally have someone who has actually seen the film commenting on its relative quality.
The number of people on here weighing in without seeing anything other than the trailer is so silly, isn't it?
And like, the filmmakers have very little control over the marketing of the film but most people don't seem to get that. Glad we're on the same page, at least.
Where do you think this ranks alongside the other DC movies?
i don't think they have seen it !...

RMP888

I read the review and watched the trailer; and thought the trailer is was really bad [and not in a good way either]. As the trailer is tacked on to the end of the review; It would have been good if the reviewer had linked it to the narrative preceding it or commented on if the trailer was representative of the actual movie?

gavinhanly

Personally I don’t think the trailer is representative of the movie, it makes it look all over the place, and doesn’t really get across the highly choreographed chaos of the movie itself.

Also wondering - do reviewers put up reviews in the CMS here or is that done by someone else?

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Thank goodness we finally have someone who has actually seen the film commenting on its relative quality.
The number of people on here weighing in without seeing anything other than the trailer is so silly, isn't it?
And like, the filmmakers have very little control over the marketing of the film but most people don't seem to get that. Glad we're on the same page, at least.
Where do you think this ranks alongside the other DC movies?
I've seen it. Better than Shazam. Vaaaaastly better than Suicide Squad. Not really comparable to the Aquaman/Wonder Woman corner of the universe. Not a patch on Joker. It's a blast, but it wont be for everyone. Within the first 10 minutes you'll understand why opinion is all over the place with it.

While it's undeniably fun, it does skew pretty dark in places. It's the opposite of dour, but its not exactly charming or good natured either.

Agree with Gav that the trailers dont do it justice.

CRT

Standard Member
Flaming. Inciting an argument
People should never write reviews the day after been dumped. Makes them come across as men hating neo feminists who have never watched any other super hero film, have no clue what they are talking about and are just writing with an unrelated agenda.

navarro67

People should never write reviews the day after been dumped. Makes them come across as men hating neo feminists who have never watched any other super hero film, have no clue what they are talking about and are just writing with an unrelated agenda.
People should never post on forums at ten to one on a Saturday night! And I should know, it's 2am, I'm many drinks deep, just got home, and even to me this is waaaaaaaay overboard :rotfl:

Tim2049

Any review is by definition an individual's personal opinion filtered through their own perspective. You may not agree, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Some of the comments above border on the idiotic... in my opinion. I have say, the trailer didn't do a very good job of promoting this film, but after reading Kumari's review I think I'll check it

Wcidemdelyy ypu
Any review is by definition an individual's personal opinion filtered through their own perspective. You may not agree, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Some of the comments above border on the idiotic... in my opinion. I have say, the trailer didn't do a very good job of promoting this film, but after reading Kumari's review I think I'll check it out.
Sounds like you're, perhaps wisely, somewhat oblivious to the scourge of this kind of narrative being ubiquitous around the internet/social media. Wanting to find solace from that in AVForums isn't a big ask. It's not 'that' kind of site.

For you to say, very diplomatically of course, that this review is merely a 'person's opinion' is...well, not incorrect per se, but...there's a little more to it than that in this instance...& that's the sole, all be it minor, issue here.

As I said originally, I don't want to imply this review is eye-rolling, but that same increasingly tiresome feeling of 'having to be taught something' is there...and, sorry, but it's a little annoying. I personally don't know any level headed people who wouldn't agree either. Most people 'in real life' are sick of this too...

I also respect your loyalty to your writer, naturally. Just be nice to have a review of the film without some political subtext running through it. As I say, it's not a big ask & I'm not going to feel like a 'crying white male' for voicing this too. That kind of retort is strawman here I believe. People who use that seldom care about context...

Anyway, not wanting to make a thing of this, let's move on...It's just a little annoying that's all. Other than that, it's a really well written review and if she liked the film, that's cool..(!) Not what this is about...

Last edited:

Garrett

As you seem to know the lady personally from them comments Id go round and apologize to her, and have a few infractions for me in the meantime.

Garrett

Mod Comment can we get chatting about the film rather than guessing what some other posters agenda is.

Garrett

Not being obtuse, but this is the thread for discussing the review of the film. There's already Rais thread to discuss the film itself, including a poll.
Discussing the review of the film, not the reviewer or guessing other contributors agenda for discussing it one way or the other then sticking it to them.

AncientYouth

i haven't seen the film and to be honest it looks like a joker/deadpool rip off and a bit silly without being very funny...i think the general consensus is that is not that its 'Woke' but more a bit meh
and the trailers and the marketing were awful

VisionMan

Opinions of this film (movie), from people that have seen it, seem to be very split. Much like Joker. I call those kind of movies marmite films. I had no interest in watching Joker and still don't due to the fact I know its not a superhero film, but a detailed look into a mentally deranged man sinking into insanity. Not my thing.

But this has peaked my interest and am looking forward to watching it when it comes out on disc purely because I thought Margot Robbie was brilliant in Suicide Squad and that films one shining light. I also like wild and whacky which this movie appears to be so I'll go into it with an open mind hoping to enjoy it. :)

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Let’s get back to discussing the film please. Less of the politics bs.

Coulson

I thought you hadn't seen the movie?
Good point except that I was interested in this film so I already have a decent idea of the plot :). For example I know that the trailers were likely made before the reshoots which is why many of the scenes are not in the actual film. Add to that the fact that I know this YouTube series and they are always spot on. So........