Birds and other wildlife.

dianneW

I suspect the praying mantis is getting the grasshoppers there.
we have a lot of grasshoppers and pine martins that one type like to get in a loft space and chew your wiring...happened here a few years ago and when they clammer about above your bed its like all hell coming though the ceiling....just have to fill up any gaps which aint so easy in a 1801 property....here is one taken on the phone camera again, in doors...not great but here it is...climbing up the outside window

Attachments

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

dianneW

Does he keep badgering her?
You cant have fun on here this is wild life or is that what you lot are...haha...but
we had badgers where we lived before in Bexhill on Sea and Saber one of our precious Cats would play with the baby badgers in the farmland attached to ours...not a great thing with there fleas etc...but all that changed when along comes Mr. Development and eventually got planning on flood prone area (built on stilts method) opposite our place for 5 properties, had to change our unmade lane to a 'proper road' with street lighting...nightmare for the badgers and us....when the tarmac was laid and all done... because if I start to tell you how it all progressed it would be a book....ok Gerrybuilt was threatened to be arrested by the Police on just the one occasion over the lamp post position,,,whoops I will stop now ok..
.the Badgers bless them did not know about tarmac and the noise they made with their claws pitter pattering down the lane was alarmingly loud at first but also at least we could now hear them coming....and they did still come along on their usual routes...digging down under our fences about a metre sometimes was not great but those badger feet are made to dig for the amount of worms they need every day....nothing will stop a badger digging.

WeeScottishLass

You cant have fun on here this is wild life or is that what you lot are...haha...but
we had badgers where we lived before in Bexhill on Sea and Saber one of our precious Cats would play with the baby badgers in the farmland attached to ours...not a great thing with there fleas etc...but all that changed when along comes Mr. Development and eventually got planning on flood prone area (built on stilts method) opposite our place for 5 properties, had to change our unmade lane to a 'proper road' with street lighting...nightmare for the badgers and us....when the tarmac was laid and all done... because if I start to tell you how it all progressed it would be a book....ok Gerrybuilt was threatened to be arrested by the Police on just the one occasion over the lamp post position,,,whoops I will stop now ok..
.the Badgers bless them did not know about tarmac and the noise they made with their claws pitter pattering down the lane was alarmingly loud at first but also at least we could now hear them coming....and they did still come along on their usual routes...digging down under our fences about a metre sometimes was not great but those badger feet are made to dig for the amount of worms they need every day....nothing will stop a badger digging.
I've never seen a wild badger before in the flesh so super envious of you seeing baby one's!!

Apart from the fleas!

Until I started following this ladies group on Facebook I had no idea that badgers are not really black and white like the cartoons depict!

They're a funny off colour with streaks of brown :)

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I've never seen a wild badger before in the flesh so super envious of you seeing baby one's!!

Apart from the fleas!

Until I started following this ladies group on Facebook I had no idea that badgers are not really black and white like the cartoons depict!

Is this what you’ve seen? :p

73469B17-6110-433A-83D8-97D034F18311.png

dianneW

Apart from the fleas!

The colours vary to where they live in the world, heres a link about their striped heads....

Last edited:

dianneW

See our lonesome fish more now that the lilly pads are rottin down and he is about 20-25cms long and got him as a tiddler one of three about 4 years ago. The other two were got at.....We have another pond that Gerrybuilt built that has approx 30 of varying sizes but not as large as lonesome..tempted to try and give him/her some company from the other pond but we do not know what the outcome might be......guess he is not wild but maybe WILD and lonely....

Attachments

dianneW

Also on her own is Henietta a tough 5 year old chicken, still laying an egg most days, we play hunt the egg with her changing location all the time...nesting box not here style...We have thought she stopped laying a few times and then low and behold a dozen eggs have been found....so well hidden too.
She is on the loose all day and enjoys wrecking the garden by digging to australia for worms and bugs.

Attachments

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

dmpzsn

Back next Tue night ...
We've had some great tits and blue tits checking our box. and noticed them pecking around the entrance.

Hopefully better luck next year that any inhabitants will keep the chicks alive long enough to fledge.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We have a gang of 6-8 Blue Tits visit the garden each morning - they don't stay for long.

dianneW

Red Squirrel lives local...have woodland across the road, so guess he/she lives in there where you cannot get easily get in for woodland hedging. Our male cat Saber is rather hyped up about him so we have to keep a close eye on him as next door there are a certain type of (weird) british but could be any odd bods from tinbut2...have 4 hunting dogs that live indoors 99% of the time and try to terrorize anybody that breathes including vehicles the 1% time left...so what with the squirrel if Saber goes over the fence when those dogs are out.....history....that would be a disaster for us and the result would be.....
I will still try and take a photo of the red squirrel but he is a fast mover.

dmpzsn

Some one said the other day that they hardly ever saw a gold finch.

Heres a few in for the early afternoon snack, we do get a lot more and I'll try to get a photo.
P1000445.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett