1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipole.......Will this work???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by perrdl, Jul 30, 2002.

1. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have previously posted about Sub & Satellite packages.

However after doing quite a bit of reading on this site, it seems like there is no Sub / Sat package that can match the Mission Floorstanders along with a centre and bipole rears. The only this is, I am a bit pushed for space with the rear speakers. I will have to mount the bipole speakers on the wall to the side of my seating postion, as the diagram shows. However as my sofa is positioned under the stairs, right against the wall, I am a little worried that this will sound a bit duff as they are positioned quite low. The speaker being the Red box (Sorry about the crap diagram).

The other worry is because Bipole speakers fire sound in two directions, will this throw too much of the sound directly at the wall, which will no doubt annoy my neighbours, (I would like to avoid this if possible). The only other alternative I can think of is to position the bipole speaker at an angle behind me to the side, on a stand pointing slightly forward, but will these bipole speakers sound any good if I stand mount them? The mission web site does not recommend it!

Any opinions or ideas, would be great!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I wouldn't worry too much about the neighbours, the rears usually don't go that loud during a movie.

That said why don't you mount the speaker under the stair (still to the sides though), thus raising the height?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, forget everything you've seen. "Rear" speakers at the side is the recommended placement by Dolby (slightly behind the 'earline' is okay). So, although they're probably in the majority, the 'fully behind' brigade didn't RTFM. There are a number of other configurations/compromises listed by Dolby so look them up. IIRC, one is rears behind sofa firing upwards. That option any good to you ?

Mike.

4. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say under the stairs, do you mean on an angle pointing slightly downwards???

If this is what you mean, will it matter that the opposite speaker will not be on an angle, and will be positioned straight???

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When you say under the stairs, do you mean on an angle pointing slightly downwards???

That's what I meant. Depends on the position and distance, not sure if your drawing is "to scale".

Note: A speaker too close to the ear can be rather disturbing IMHO, and thus spoil the movie experience somewhat.

If this is what you mean, will it matter that the opposite speaker will not be on an angle, and will be positioned straight???

Of course it's not perfect and thus a compromise only ...

@Flimber, I think you are referring to direct radiating (normal / monopole) speakers where this can be indeed applied.
    But bi/dipoles should go to the side of the listening position.

6. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice.

Has anybody tried positioning rear speakers low firing upwards from behind??? Will it be as good as having the bipolar speakers to the side of me???

If I was to use normal speakers position upwards I would probably go for the Mission M71 or M72.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perrdl,

Suck, see.

HTH,
    Mike.