Bipole vs Dipole

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
The Aarons aren't available in the UK, so any specific product knowledge is likely to be limited.

I've heard dipoles and bipoles and as far as I can work out, there's not a lot of difference. The fact that many are actually switchable, leads me to believe any difference may purely be down to personal preference.

The bipole Aarons state that "sound arrives at your ears equally from the side, rear and front walls, tricking the human ear into believing there is a wall of sound rather than a point source". In other words, precisely what a dipole is supposed to do by being out of phase. Go figure.

The only thing that seems to be broadly agreed, is that the in-phase side driver should face the front three speakers. This allows some remarkable mid air imaging to happen.

Russell

T

The WB

The Aarons aren't available in the UK, so any specific product knowledge is likely to be limited.

I've heard dipoles and bipoles and as far as I can work out, there's not a lot of difference. The fact that many are actually switchable, leads me to believe any difference may purely be down to personal preference.

The bipole Aarons state that "sound arrives at your ears equally from the side, rear and front walls, tricking the human ear into believing there is a wall of sound rather than a point source". In other words, precisely what a dipole is supposed to do by being out of phase. Go figure.

The only thing that seems to be broadly agreed, is that the in-phase side driver should face the front three speakers. This allows some remarkable mid air imaging to happen.

Russell

Thankyou!:smashin:

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Purely out of interest, as I haven't heard them, why not the B&W surrounds?

IMHO, it can't hurt to go for speakers of a similar driver compliment and yes I know I've got a PMC/M&K combo!

Russell

T

The WB

Purely out of interest, as I haven't heard them, why not the B&W surrounds?

IMHO, it can't hurt to go for speakers of a similar driver compliment and yes I know I've got a PMC/M&K combo!

Russell

Russell there sourrounds are shocking.There Fronts are great,but when I purchased them I was learning(still learning).There frequencey response is bad,the casing is plastic it's really not a good speaker.

audiojunkie

Just to add my 2 cents,I use my MA Sfx's in di-pole on the side walls
being I have high rear ceilings and sound comes from everywhere,I'm pretty impressed with di-pole.I've tryed them in bi-pole and noticed a fairly big
difference between the two.Maybe it's because of my high ceiling.

Chris4Koi

Hi All,

I've just literally set-up my MA SFX'x, listen to them last night in there de-fault Bi-pole.... were really convincing....fantastic watching Batman Bigins...:thumbsup:
Will try them in Di-pole to see if its such a big difference in a room that's standard hight, about 4m wide and 5m deep...:smashin:

stevos

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect the old debate, but i am moving back to defusion rears and need some advice.

I currently have the GR10's either side of the sitting position and slightly behind (around 120 degrees ish) with both angled to the listening position.

I now have a pair of GRFX's that i plan to setup over the next couple of days to replace the GR10's.

My options are to keep the current location or put them flat against the rear wall (around 50cm behind the listening position) or could put them on the side walls.

What would be your recommendation?

Should i use bi or di-pole setup?

Cheers
Steve.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
I have heard dipoles mounted on a rear wall (directly overhead) and it worked really well.

I imagine the position that works best will be the one that keeps the drivers furthest from the reflecting walls. In other words, there's not much point putting them on the side walls if it means there's 4m to the front wall and 25cm to the rear wall.

Dipole/bipole? Flick the switch and you decide.:)

Russell

BazMan

The only thing that seems to be broadly agreed, is that the in-phase side driver should face the front three speakers. This allows some remarkable mid air imaging to happen.l

And how does one know which is the in-phase driver?

(Gale 3060B)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom